EMG or what?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, May 16, 2001.

1. hey everyone, i was wondering what pickups i should purchase.... I am building my own bass from warmoth parts....The sound I am going for is the early Tool bass sound...punchy yet still bringin up the low end. I play with a pick mostly, but I switch it up depending on what sounds best....I know i want active pickups, but what would sound better.... EMG HZs? Barts? Fender Js? someone help if ya can. thanks
    chris murray
  2. Get real EMG's or Barts. The sound preference is yours to decide. The EMG's are crisper, more electric sounding pickups that really cut through. The Barts are darker , bassier sounding pickups that have a nice warm sound to them.
  3. Hey Robot, how do Mighty Mites figure in, are they low quality, high-end, or what? If you had to choose between EMG HZ's or Mighty Mites, which would you choose?
  4. Well, I'm not sure if you can buy EMG Hz's new. I'm pretty sure you can only get them on certain basses or buying them used off of Ebay if anyone is selling. As for Mighty Mite, I don't know. I remember trying a Cort Artisan 5 string which supposedly had Mighty Mite soapbars on it and I remember it sounding decent. Might Mites are a more generic sounding pickup and don't have the cut like an EMG. Really, the EMG's IMO will get you a lot closer to the Tool sound than the Mighty Mites ever will.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    The bass I have that sounds most like Tool's sound is my Czech Spector = Active EMG's.
  6. Spector Funk

Spector Funk

May 24, 2001
    I've got a brand new set of active EMG's out of a czek spector 4 string, if your intersted pm me.
  7. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I would go with EMG's. They have a very cutting aggressive sound and a lot low end. I use them in 3 different bass a Spector NS-5CRFM, a Jackson Concert V, and an Ibanez Musician and they sound great in all of them. They can totaly nail the TOOL like bass sound.
  8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC