EMG + P-bass.. how is it done ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AllodoX, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Hey,

Any of you got a P-bass with EMG's in it ?
    where the heck to you put the battery ? i can't find any space in the cavity to put the battery in :( :( :( :(
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You might have to do a little bit of routing and extend the cavity. Or you could rout the back, drill a hole and throw a battery case in, so you don't have to take off the pickguard to change your battery.
  3. can it be done without routing ?
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Some time back, I put an EMG in a MIJ P. I didn't want to rout it, so I found a small battery that I think is used for garage-door-opener remote controls that supplies 12 volts. Since EMG's will run on 9 to 27 volts, I figured it was cool. I made up a little bracket for the battery, wired up as per usual, and it fit and worked fine. If you're really interested, let me know, I'll get the battery number for you.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    In my experience, a Fender P-Bass cavity should be wide enough to accept a 9-volt battery. The cavity should also be deep enough for the battery to reside under the pots. However, you should wrap the battery with electric tape to prevent the battery from shorting or grounding-out any electrical connections. I have only seen this done with older P-Basses, so the cavity dimensions may have changed in recent years. Good luck...
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I tried it in my '85 MIJ P and my '99 Am. Std. P. No dice. That's why I came up with the idea I outlined above. I've heard of 9v. batts fitting in P's, but I haven't personally seen it happen.
  7. Well my thought was like this : put three 3-volt buttoncell batteries in it. these babies are 2cm wide, and 0.5 cm high. in my EDC i've got 18v BTB1005 pickups and preamp. but the EDC has got only room for 1 9v battery.. so i've put 6 of these small batteries in it, and it fits perfectly.

these 3v babies can pull 500mah each, where a normal 9v battery does roughly 150mah.. :D