1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG P bass pickup distance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Feb 14, 2016.

1. I'm trying to dial in my new PJ bass. I have EMG-X pickups in it.
    I have a bal pot and I wanted to have a nice blend between the two pickups at center click.
    Of course the P pickup is a lot louder than the J. So I can either ignore the center click and turn it down or I can move the P pickup back from the strings to achieve a nicer balance.I've tried both and of course at first it seems the the P bass pickup sounds a lot better when it is closer to the strings. But is that an illusion just because the pickup is louder? Or do I really lose tone when I move the pickup away from the strings?

2. Instead of moving down the P pickup you could try moving up the J pickup. Since the J is nearer to the bridge it can be set higher than the P before the strings have a chance of touching it. Try 4 mm space for the P and 3 mm for the J.

3. Oh, and yes, when you move the pickup away from the strings you lose volume.