Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emg p/j set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Dec 13, 2001.

1. i just bought these and put them on my charvel with new dr lo-riders my tone is f'in sweet man im playing through a crate 15 watt i want to hear this stuff through a tube stack man! theres present finger noise and im pretty sure thats on all emg's is that true?

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    What do you mean by finger noise?

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have the EMG P-J set in my JP-90, and I agree with what you're saying. Very cool pickups. They do tend to pick up fretting noise pretty well. My solution is to cut the 2kHz. slider on my preamp EQ which seems to be where the clicks live. Also, I'm working on cleaner technique ;) .

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Dont you mean 2 kiLLoHerTz iS wHeRe fIeLdY LiVz?

5. i dont have a pre-amp anymore i have a preamp on my stock electronics bass/mids/highs/volumes now i have 2 volumes a tone and a switch. most likley the finger noise will disappear when the strings get older cause there super bright right now

6. Ah yes, the extended treble. After I got my emgs, I switched from stainless steel roundwounds to nickel. It helped the string/finger noise problem.

What I generally do is get my volumes set with the treble (on my bass) all the way up. Then I turn it down to about 50% and slowly bring it back up until I get a little sparkle. As the strings age my treble setting goes from about 60% up to a 100. Then it's time to change strings. ;)

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Funny, though- yesterday I played a gig in a carpeted room, which just sucked up the treble. I could have sworn my strings suddenly died, but they sounded fine today. I like my EMG's.