EMG P, PA, PX, PAX...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Victor0, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Victor0

Victor0

Nov 23, 2020
    This is my first thread, so first of all. Hi everyone!

I actually have a Fernandes Atlas 4 (Musicman style) equiped with an active pickup EMG MM TW. It's cool, I love the sound.

And the thing is, I want to install another set of pickups, to get more sounds out of the bass. Concretely I want a Precission style pickup, and this is where things get complicated.

First of all I'm looking for a more vintage sound, so I think I should go for the PA or the PAX because they're made with alnico V magnets instead of ceramic. Am i right?

The second thing, is a problem with the electronic. I was looking to the diagrams and the difference between the P, PA and the X-series (PX, PAX) that the tone knob is alimented with the battery.

So if I want to have a master tone for the two pickups:

* I'll have to use the normal series, because the EMG MM TW pickup doesn't have voltage on the tone knob

* I can use the x-series and use the the voltage active tone knob

MMTW 2 pickups 2 vol 1 tone

MMTW VVT.png

P-PA 2 pickups 2 vol 1 tone

P VVT.png

PX-PAX 2 pickups 2 vol 1 tone

PX VVT.png

Thank you all for the help!

2. Cheers,

Short answer is; Yes.

The standard EMG can use the active tone and active blend, if doing a Master Volume. In fact, the ABC-X is shipped with all of the ACTIVE EQ/Preamp systems.

The X Series pickup(s) REQUIRES the active tone pot and the ABC-X, if doing Master Volume. These will not function correctly without those active components.

To your question on the Alnico V P pickup. I actually have the FIRST EMG35P4AX-RC pickup EMG has ever made sitting in a box on my shelf. This is a FENDER Precision Bass reverse coil layout (RC), NOT a Spector/Warwick P Pickup coil layout (Standard). It is paired with a 35JX in another box sitting on the same shelf.

I hope this is of some help...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  3. Victor0

Victor0

Nov 23, 2020
    Thank you for your answer!

I'll finally go for the X-series. Yesterday night I was reading the diagrams of the pots and I think I made a diagram that would work:

DIAGRAM.jpeg

The MM pot (wich is also a push/pull) is very complicated to use. You can use it as a volume and also as a tone (you can configure it with the blue jumpers). So I'm not going to mess with him..
    I'm going to use the Precission pot to receive the MM volume and add (or not) the volume of the precision pickup.

About what you have told me about the alnico pickups, I have not understood you very well... You're saying that theyre not better? In the end it doesn't matter, because I want to buy it in Europe and and I have only found the P/PX pickups.

4. Alnico V magnets are different than the Ceramic (more edge/bite) and the Ceramic & Steel (CS) is less edgy than the Ceramic, but a bit more so than Alnico V.

Your MM is a TW (selectable dual/single coil) and is Ceramic & Steel. Alnico V is a good match for what you are looking for in a second neck pickup.

I would like to recommend the use of the Master Volume/Blend arrangements as finding better overall pickup levels are possible for creating any specific tone combination. Also, using the EMG suggested wiring order of:

Pickups

Active Blend

(With or W/O Master Active Tone Control)

EQ Preamp (EXB, BTC, BQS or others)

Master Volume

Output Jack

Your actual controls can be located differently due to the length of the wires (i.e. MV - Blend - Tone/EQ - Output Jack).

My current Bass has this control layout:

Active Blend - MV/PP - T - B - Output Jack

But is wired as I discribed above. I find that I use the Active Blend Control more than the MV as I'm not always adjusting volume, but do adjust the pickup balance more!

The EMG pickups I am using are:

Neck = 35TWX-R (R = Top coil selectable)

Bridge = 35DCX
    1009201647~2.jpg
    The R has the top coil selectable for single coil operation nearer the neck in this position. Standard selection is the bottom coil for single coil operation. These can be ordered the same way. HOWEVER, Alnico V is NOT available for TW pickups.

Hope this is of some help and interest.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  5. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I hope this is of some help...[/QUOTE]
    How do you like the dcx? I haven’t seen much in the way of reviews or how it compares to the original.

6. How do you like the dcx? I haven’t seen much in the way of reviews or how it compares to the original.[/QUOTE]

The original DC I have had in a Spector 5 string. I can say my DCX sounds good, if you like that type of full, punchy, grind! lol

My Bass is tuned AEAD and has a fuller Spector tone to it. That's what I was looking to use on a recording project.

7. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    The original DC I have had in a Spector 5 string. I can say my DCX sounds good, if you like that type of full, punchy, grind! lol

My Bass is tuned AEAD and has a fuller Spector tone to it. That's what I was looking to use on a recording project.[/QUOTE]
    That does sound like something I’m interested in haha. I’ve come to appreciate the tone of the dc but I wasn’t sure what impact the x preamp would have on the tone.

8. That does sound like something I’m interested in haha. I’ve come to appreciate the tone of the dc but I wasn’t sure what impact the x preamp would have on the tone.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is no need/benefit of running 18v with the X Series pickups/system. So, it's a clear/clean headroom thing, to my ear. I also feel like they are "faster" and even more focused than before. I find no downside to the extra $10.00 for a great pickup.

9. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

My apologies for kicking the dust off an old thread, but I figured I'd ask it here, b/c this thread has some good info in it that others may want to know.

.......and I also have a question for those who currently own the EMG PA.......or EMG PAX model precision pick ups.

Could you post some sound clips or video of both models being played, so we all can hear what they sound like?
    I found a link to this in another thread, but they've been taken down since they were first posted.
    Thanks in advance, and have a great rest of your day. :)

10. GlassToMouth

GlassToMouth Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Hopefully soon! I ordered a 45PAX in early April. It's due to ship any day now. However I did order the 45PAX-RC version, so the bass side favors the neck and treble side favors the bridge instead of the Spector style P pickup. I made a demo of the dual TWX setup of the bass in my avatar a few years ago. Hopefully I can do the same with my soon to be 45PAX-RC/45TWX bass in the near future.

11. GlassToMouth

GlassToMouth Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Rhode Island
    So a nice surprise when I got home from work today. I never received a shipping notification, but my 45PAX-RC was on my doorstep. Pulled out the neck TWX and push/pull pot and replaced with the new pickup and pot. Honeymoon phase of course, but digging it so far. I haven't had any type of P or PJ or P/HB (TWX in bridge) since the mid 90's. All I've had are J's and humbuckers of various sorts. I like the P characteristics with the modern EMG clarity. Unsurprisingly sounds Wooten-ish (minus the skill set) which I really dig. Looks like my headless Zeus will be coming to both my gigs this weekend.

12. GABRPASC

GABRPASC

Mar 19, 2019
    EMGPPX.jpg