1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG P/U with OBP-3 Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, May 3, 2006.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Will an EMG soapbar work with an OBP-3 preamp? My current Bart / OBP-3 setup lacks definition and high-end presence. This bass has a single Bart in the sweetspot so I can't dial in the bridge pickup like traditional dualies. I'd rather keep the OBP-3 and sacrifice the Bart if given a choice.

Is this a sound choice (excuse the pun) or am I overlooking other possibilities?

Riis

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I ran an OBP-3 outboard for a while and used myriad of pups with it with no issue. You'd probably have to change the volume to 25K. For the most part I avoid using actives and it's been too long to distinctly remember whether I used a EMG's through the OBP-3 but if you skim the Dimento reviews for EMG (J's would probably be the place to go - Active EMG's are active EMG's). You can skim those reviews and see if I mentioned hooking one up to the OBP-3.

I only did the outbaords for a while I can't remember whether the EMG reviews synched with that period or not.

You can always call Aguilar but I would be suprised if there was an issue other than the volume pot.

There's a myriad of alternatives but a pup change is probably as good as any. I would probably run the Bart straight to the jack skipping the preamp before I bought a pup though. You might be suprised at the result as it may give you give enough of what your looking for. At any rate, nothing to lose by checking it out.