1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG-P whats the word

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by impactwrench, Apr 4, 2009.

1. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I just picked up a used MIM P with this as a pickup. I had to solder one wire back on and change the battery. Works fine now, but doesnt dazzle my ears. If I had a string tree for my other MIM P I could A-B them, but I cant say Im loving the EMG just yet...

Whats the general consensus on these? Not exactly a prime replacement for a vintage fender Im guessing...

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    This is the active version, right - not the budget "Select" version?

I would say there is no consensus on either the P or the J set by EMG. They are similar sounding to the genuine thing but not the same, and they have their pros and cons. I prefer the EMG's and many professionals use them and prefer their sound. Probably just as many pros would never use them. I have the EMG P on two of my basses and I wouldn't be happy if I had to switch to the Fender originals. Really, it just comes down to the subtle differences in tone between the two and which you personally prefer. In my experience, what I perceive as "smoother" tone with the EMG's someone else will perceive as "sterile". :D

One selling point of the EMG's is they are noiseless and not subject to the same electromagnetic interference as the Fender p'ups without the need for a ground to the bridge because they have an active preamp and are internally grounded. But this also means they require a battery to operate (and when the battery dies the p'ups quit working) and to some people this is an unnecessary hassle.

3. +1 on the Select vs. real deal. EMGs may not have much of a vintage sound, but there isn't anything that can get as articulate or aggressive. A top notch pre-amp can help "tame" EMGs. I have 2 basses with 'em and really enjoy the sound.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I have had EMG's in my '65 Pbass since '84... they are still in there

5. I have a EMG PJ configuration on my Spector - has a great sound.

6. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    This pickup is the EMG-P like the thread title says...definitely not the select. Plus my OP says I had to change the battery.

I was actually quite surprised that these DO sound like a P bass...just that I dont think it sounds much different or better than the stock pickup.

Like I said once I get a string tree for my other MIM then Ill take both to band practice and A/B. I love the color of this new bass...sage green. Reminds me of the "green" bathroom in my grammas old house ;) Kinda minty, kinda vintage, all cool.