1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG P....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick D., Apr 15, 2009.

1. Nick D.

Nick D.

Apr 15, 2009
    hows it goin?
    im new here, but i have a legit question. i am currently modifying an already modified 2008 American Standard P-Bass. its basically an American Standard P-Bass with a Mark Hoppus Body. Alder with a tone knob as well as a volume knob. the pickups are Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders but i wanted to know if putting EMGs will give me a "clankier" sound better suited for my band. i play in a Hard Rock band.

i used to use a Spector Euro 35LX but as i got more and more into Punk Rock, the P-Bass was just a better fit for me. the pickup config in the Spector was an EMG PJ but i cant rely on that to figure out how a lone EMG P pickup would sound. can someone shoot me some words of wisdom. thanx alot. :bassist:

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

I'm not sure that "clanky" is a word I'd use. I would certainly use "aggresive", however. I've got a set in an '86 Japanese P (bought it that way) and they will get your attention. Cleaner than standard P pickups and much more in your face.

Maybe someone else will chime in who can articulate the tone better than I.

3. Nick D.

Nick D.

Apr 15, 2009
    thank you sir.
    it sux because i cant find any sound clips of just the EMG P, and even then, the way somebody plays is almost like a fingerprint. almost nobody plays exactly the same. so its like...how do you describe sound? lol...but thanx again. i appreciate any input.

4. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    great videos from fellow TB'er Kiral:

5. just buy a sansamp.................

6. 4banger

4banger

Apr 11, 2009
    tacoma washington
    do emgs come with the quick connect input or is that a seperate purchase

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    EMGs come with all of the wiring you need to install them.

8. 4banger

4banger

Apr 11, 2009
    tacoma washington
    thanks a million, good lookin out. i searched for days befor i decided to finally ask here

9. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Not sure if the EMG's would be clankier but I think the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders would be better suited for your style as they are much more aggressive sounding than the EMG pickups

10. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    If "clanky" or "aggresive" is what you want, then any good active pickup is what you want. Do you play with a pick?

11. Nick D.

Nick D.

Apr 15, 2009
    yes i do, KLEIN.