Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG passive bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Mar 23, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Any one have any experience with these? I know EMG active pickups are great...im trying to decide whether to go active or passive in my new bass.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have HZs in my bass. They are OK but lack some of the depth I remember from my old Active basses, so they will be getting upgraded to fully active DCs soon.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    For starters I have had EMG actives, HZ's, and Selects. I personally like all three. The actives are my favorites though.

The HZ's are warmer with less punch than the actives IMO. These are the soapbar type pups.

The Selects are really a great pup for the price. I have had two basses with these pups (both P/J) and loved them in one and not so much in the other. The latter is currently being upgraded with actives.

I guess it all depends on what you want tone wise and what your wallet has in it. If you couple the HZ's or the Selects with an onboard preamp (BQC, BQS, OBP-3) you can really have a sweet sounding bass.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Actually, you can now get HZs in P and J styles as well that are not soap bars.

My vote though is for actives. As mentioned above, the HZs are okay, but my axe improved greatly once I upgraded...

5. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Rev, I was just pointing out the ones I have are the soapbars. :)

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    S'cool...I didn't get that from your post. Didn't know that selects came in P/J configs either.

7. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry about that Rev. Typing just doesn't always get the whole message across. :D Yea, StewMac sells them for $46 for the set. Here is the link: EMG Select P/J

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Wow, you learn something new every day! :D Thanks for the link, one of my students may benefit from this...