Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG passive pickups - rubbish?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Ok me and Whafro have been looking at a Mike Kroeger interview, and in it he says he uses EMG passive pickups. I'm being told they're bad. true?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I had EMG HZ's in my Schecter until I replaced them with EMG 35Js. The difference was incredible. The tone was a little similar, but just more of everything. Clearer, punchier, more versatile, and just a HECK of a lot better in every possible way. I highly recommend the actives over passives any day.

-Eric.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think whoever is telling you they're bad is thinking of EMG selects... which are pretty bad.
    I haven't tried the HZ's personally, but I've got no reason to think they'd be bad. Of course, when you get beyond the Mighty Mite price point there really aren't any 'bad' pickups - it's all subjective and I can't say whether you'll like them or not

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have nothing against EMG-HZ's. I had a Spector with them, and I replaced them with DC's. The DC's were pretty similar, but just a bit louder and more detailed. I would have been fine with the HZ's, actually. But the HZ's are sort of a passive DC, so it's not surprising that the sound was similar. Also, I've played Czech Spectors with HZ's and thought they sounded fine. Whatshisname from Coheed and Cambria plays a Rebop some, and they have HZ's.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have 40Hzs on my ESP, they sound pretty good. I've played a DF404 with 40DCs, they sound great. Like others are saying, same general tone, just more life and color.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've honestly found that EMG's HZ line was in fact rubbish. I didn't like anything about them. Of course... IMO.

7. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

What are you talking about?
    Selects are awesome, and even more so for the price, especially the P-pickups. I would definetely pay much more for the selects, they sound tremendous. I have never ever before this seen a bad review of the selects.

8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Tekhna - I think you are confusing the Selects (Cheapest pickup EMG makes, passive, big white writing on it) with the DC models (highest quality EMG, small gold EMG on them, active.)

The HZ line is the one seen on a lot of import instruments (Schecter, ESP, Dean, etc...) and says EMG-HZ on it.

9. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

No, I am talking about the selects. They kick ass.
    I am talking about the ones that are like 15 dollars at Stew Mac. They are really good pickups, but completely different from the HZs or actives.

10. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Fair enough. To each his own.

11. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Some HC review quotes on the selects

"Tone: Tone was a big surprise. I wasn't expecting much for $23, but the Select has good bottom, nice mids, and very sweet highs."

"Not too bad for the money, better than expected."

"i got my sound from it. it is far more focused than the stock pickup and the sound is much tighter. not muddy, and the lack of buzz is great! it still isnt the world's warmest pickup, thoguh it was warmer than the stocker. not traditional P-Bass tone, but still a good sound in its own right."

"Since building this Bass, I have purchased another Select P for a client and a set of Select J's for another. Both clients have been very happy with the reasults. - The bang for the buck is outstanding.

I've been playing bass for 20 years and have heard and played a number of different rigs over the years. For anyone looking for a way to make a bass sound better, this is certainly an inexpensive upgrade.

I am more than satisfied with the Select P's. I picked the Selects totally on price, and I was floored by the quality and tone that I got at no extra charge.

A fantastic value!"

"This has got to be the best value in bass pickups! While not as good as an active pickup, it is very well balanced and, best of all, very quiet. It has a solid low end, very musical midrange and a lot of treble if you need it."

"For 25 dollars, these are probably the best p-bass pickups you'll find. if you want to replace stock pickups on a cheapo bass, these are definately the way to go"

"they sound nice, much more than i would have expected for the price."

Good call David-They suck. :eyebrow:

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you like them they're good, if you don't like them, they're bad.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    +1. I had a bass with the Select J's with an OBP-1 and the bass SMOKED!!!!!

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Some good reviews but how and why should that make Dave like them? :confused:

15. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    It shouldn't, all I am trying to point out is to make a blanket statement like that is silly when so many people really like them.
    The gear snobbery on this forum is so silly. If isn't Sadowsky, Fralin or Norstrand it isn't worth having, or so some people might lead you to believe.

16. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I actually swapped out the HZs in my ESP for a set of DC/CS and wound up switching back. There wasn't anything wrong with the actives, I just liked the HZs better. They are the exposed pole version and they sound great, IMO. Some people think that the actives are better because they cost more but the HZs with an active circuit sound fantastic to my ears. The only one who can decide between the two is you.

17. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I think that is unfair to David. He has been very helpful to everyone here, and has a right to his opinion, which is all that was asked for. He also was quick to say that, "Of course, when you get beyond the Mighty Mite price point there really aren't any 'bad' pickups - it's all subjective and I can't say whether you'll like them or not." Doesn't sound anything like snobbery to me.

18. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    +1

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have have two sets of P/J Selects, one set of HZ soapbars with onboard elec., and an active P/J set.

Personally, all three types are good pups. They all have different tones and their + and - points. I like the actives the best with the Selects second. Its not that the HZ's are bad either because they sound good also.

I think you just have to let your ears tell you what is good or bad for you, not what anyone else says.

EDIT: I would really like to try the Selects sometime with an onboard preamp! :D

20. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    No, no, no, it's Sadowsky, Nordstrand..... then Fralin!!!!!! ;)

If you Look at David Wilson's Feedback in the FeedBack forum, you'll see he has bought and sold ALOT of pickups and for him, he didn't like the Selects. Like dave said in his 1st statement, it's all subjective.

I won't take the Sadowsky pickups out of my Sadowsky or the Nordstrand pickups out of my Valenti or for that matter, the EMG's out of my Spector. Maybe I'm too much of a snob. ;) :D

I'm joking, BTW. :)