emg pickup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iamok, Feb 26, 2010.

1. iamok

iamok

Feb 26, 2010
    I just bough a used esp ltd b404 bass. The problem is when ever I pluck the strings it sounds distorted. My pickups are active emgs and the seem a little too close to the strings. All help is appreciated. thank you.

2. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    If the pickups are stock then it has a DC and a P4 pickup. EMG's can be run pretty close to the strings with no issues. If pickups are too close you will just get weird harmonics, not distortion.

First thing to try is a new battery. Most of the time this is the cause of distortion. If that doesn't do it then remove the pickups an make sure the connections on the back of them is firmly connected. If that doesn't do it then make sure you are not clipping the pre-amp on your rig (active EMG's put out a really hot signal). If that doesn't work then you may have some wiring issues to get checked out.

My bet: battery.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021