1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG Pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RichC123, Apr 10, 2006.

1. RichC123

RichC123

Jan 16, 2006
    Hello everybody,

I don't know everything about pickups and maybe some one here can fill me in on the following question.

Currently, I am playing on a Spector Legend 6-string which came standard with the EMG-Hz pickups and an active EMG preamp.

I was thinking of upgrading the pickups to the EMG-DC models, which brings me to my question(s).

Will this make my tone any better?
    Will this eliminate more static noise?
    Has anybody else here done this before? what were the results?
    What would be the advantage of having 18V over the 9V?

Any info you all could give me would be appreciated.
    Thanks everybody.

RichC123

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had 4 string HZ's and actives. Issue I had with the HZ's was they weren't user friendly, the actives are. The actives are dead quiet in my experience. 18V yeilds head room, nothing more. Better or worse to you can only be determined by you. To me they both had decent tone, just different - but a tone that's hard to locate and relocate quickly is pretty useless.

3. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    Yes, lots of people have gone the same route as you are considering.

After doing some research I have decided to go this way, have just ordered the pickups.
    My bass is a Fernandes Gravity 5 Fretless. Stocko HZ pups and fernandes pre. I am upgrading the neck pup to a 40DC, the bridge pickup to a 40TW, the pre to a BQS eq system, 18v upgrade.

From what I have established from other users, the DC is not a good choice for bridge position as it is too harsh and lacks bottom end, better suited to the neck position.
    I chose the TW for bridge because it has a push/pull switch to change between single and dual coil mode, which is similar to EMG CS and J style designs, which is warmer with a smoother high end.

Active pups are quieter than passive.

Regarding 18v upgrade, this is quoted from EMG website:
    "Can I use multiple batteries?
    Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum. You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.
    Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible."

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What Rhythmbug said...

FWIW, I went DC/CS in the neck/bridge of my neck through Spector, the DC/DC combination was too harsh in the high end as noted.

I went 40J/40TW on my defretted bolt on Spector...awesome sounds...

...18v definitely yields more headroom...

...and the BQS system rocks!!!

5. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I have three EMG 40's in my bass. A 40P5, a 40-DC and a 40J (neck, middle, bridge). The DC is made for a MM type of sound, and really sounds best in that MM "sweet spot." I didn't like it in the bridge positions of any of my basses. Before I had three pickups, I had the P5 and J, which is a great sound. The 40P5 sounds really good in the neck position... fat, round and hollow. I think the 40J is the punchiest of the three, but the output is not as high as the DC.

At one point I tried two DC's. It's not bad in the neck position... it's kind of like a Jazz bass... that middly tone.

I haven't tried a CS, but they are supposed to be warmer than the DC.

My only complaint with EMG's is they sound like EMG's... the pickups have a very strong character... I'd prefer a more transparent tone, that lets the tone of the bass come through more. I'm actually winding my own pickups to replace the EMG's.

But they are good sounding pickups... if you like the way they sound.

(here's the location of the pickups on my bass...)

6. RichC123

RichC123

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks for the ideas guys.

Anybody else's input is still welcome also.

Thanks for any info you all can give me.

RichC123

7. Jeramy

Jeramy

Oct 2, 2005
    Pennsylvania,US
    I have a spector ns-jh5 USA bolt on. it has EMG 40-TW in the bridge position and an EMG J5 in the neck. I love the sound. It also has a OBP-1 onboard. I recently replaced the pickups in my Tobias with a 40DC neck and a 40CS bridge. together they sound good but they are a little bright for my taste. im thinking about putting a OBP-1 in also to add a little low end.

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I have an Ltd Bass with EMG 35-DC (B) / 35-P4 (N) ACTIVE PICKUPS. Seems I have something most wouldn't do. But I haven't got it that long and still like it a lot :D.

9. heya sorry but i didnt want to start a new thread but does anyone know if you could put a active emg pickup into a passive circuit on a e. guitar im a bassist but i am interested in updating the pickups on my electric....

bazz
    www.chapter-13.co.uk
    www.myspace.com/bandchapter13

10. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    What do you mean by a "passive circuit"?

EMG's are active pickups, but they don't need to run into any onboard preamp. You can use them as they are, but you need to change the volume and tone controls.

11. sorry i have no idea what i am going on about i am just kind of playing with the idea of improving guitars cheaply with ebay....

12. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    you have PM.