1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG pickup question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jjjazz2007, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jjjazz2007

jjjazz2007

Mar 14, 2008
    I have an old (maybe early 90's) Samick "custom" bass. It's a five string, but I'm using it from E-C. I'm replacing the pickups w/ EMG's. I already own a 40TW that I want to use in the bridge position. But I don't know if I should put another 40TW in the neck position as well.

I thought it may be cood to have 2 volume controls, along w/ the option to have either in dual/single mode. I am aware that most EQ systems will not be able to be added, so I'm thinking of possibly a different pickup.

Perhaps the 40P5 for the neck position?

Has anybody ever used two 40TW's in one bass? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Well, you can have both. You can have two switch'es before the volume control to control the coil selection. That's what emg recommends when people ask for two tw's and a pre. You would have to get different volume pots, as the push-pull would be kinda useless. There was a guy around here that either made a custom bass, or had one put together for him that had the coil selection with two switches I belive. I think it had a warmoth geko neck, and his own disigned body. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Or from the emg site:
    When using two of the TW Pickups in the same instrument it is not recommended that BT or BQ Systems be used. Each pickup requires a push/pull pot for switching from single coil to dual coil so the balance control included with the system can’t be installed.

If you want to use the balance control, consider switching single/dual coil outputs with a DPDT toggle switch(s) instead.

That's if you want to use their pre with the balance control.

What kind of pre would you want to use?

Othewise, alot of people do go the route of the tw, or the dc in the bridge, and a p or j in the neck.

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Agree with above. You can do it before the volume control. If you have room, I would ponder doing Volume and BT module per pickup so you can separately eq each pickup as well. Give a lote more choices in tone.

4. jjjazz2007

jjjazz2007

Mar 14, 2008
    Do you think it would be a good idea to add a BTC to each 40TW pickup? I say this b/c there are already 4 holes in the body, so each pickup would have a push/pull (dual/single selector), and one BTC for treble & bass.

Or, am I better off pairing a 40P5, w/ the 40TW?

Thx!!

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Umm...I think while they recommend against the SYSTEM, you can go ahead and use BT/BQ CONTROLS...each pick up would then have it's own volume (no master/blend.)

And I'd reccommend a 40J at the neck spot...I had that combination in a former bass of mine with a BQ Control and it was smoking!