Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Pickups for Fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Josh Curry, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I am having a custom Spector 6-string fretless built. This bass comes with EMG 45-DC pickups. However, I would like to hear from you fretless guys if you think one of the other 2 EMG models would be better. I am, of course, referring to the CS and TW models.

Please don't clog my thread with junk like "You really should use this other Bart pickup" or whatever. I am limited to the EMG extended bass series pickups due to the cavity shape and size and pre-amp. Unless you know FOR SURE that the pickup is the EXACT same size and uses 25k pots.

I really want to get the best sound of of this monster, a big growling tone. Also, can you suggest GOOD strings that will help give that tone and also not destroy the fretboard. Spector fretless boards are not lacquered or epoxied, they are straight up wood. Thanks in advance guys :)

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    HAHA, I wish. I talk with PJ quite a bit, but I've never spoken with Stuart. Isn't he supposed to be a guest moderator or something on the Luthiers forum?

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    For sure! I already own 3 Euro's and 1 new Legend. I wouldn't be ordering 2 custom 6'ers if I wasn't very happy with the quality of the basses and the service. PJ pretty much handles all artist relation issues and sales. I could try to post something in the Luthier Forum and hope Stuart sees it.