Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emg pickups for jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spalka621, Oct 30, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    i want to get new emg pickups for my delux fender jazz and was wondering if i can just install these or am i gona have to rewire everything.

2. If they are new active J's, there is virtually no wiring; pretty much plug and play.

3. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well the pickups come with knobs and stuff does that mean anything

4. Well, if you got the ones I'm talking about, installation will be a breeze.

5. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well i was thinkin of the EMG-J Set, would those be okay and if not, which.

6. Those are the ones. Any EMG that isn't the Selects are usually easy to install.

7. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well thats good to hear, but do i just not use the knobs that come with it.

8. What do you mean? Why not? I don't quite understand what you are saying.

9. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well the delux jazz has 5 knobs and the emg j pickups have 3

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Your bass has five knobs because it has an active preamp. Did your EMG's come with a passive volume/volume/tone setup? If it did, there would just be a set of three potentiomenters (pots) with knobs on the end, and no circuitry or extra wires. Or, you might have a stacked bass/treble circuit, or some such thing. Can you be a bit more descriptive about the knobs that came with your pikups? Possibly post a picture? Basically, did your pickups come with a preamp?

That being said, I would take your bass to a qualified technician to have your pickups swapped out.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here's what is going on. He wants to put an EMG J set in a deluxe jazz. He will have to do some wiring to hook up the EMGs to the 9 volt power, and then he'll have to hook up the signal wires as well. Judging by the lingo that has been used here, it is best for a technician to do the work.

The wiring that comes with the pickups is the 25k pots set up in a vol/vol/tone arrangement, and prewired for easier installation. But, unless he was removing the preamp, he will not need to use them.

Oh, and when you do replace them, I want the old pickups!

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's what I figured. Sometimes it's hard to tell. :meh: