1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG pickups w/ SD electronics: do they match?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ndrly, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I checked the Warwick website and it seems that the electronics they can offer can only be from MEC, Bartolini and Seymour Duncan. It also says that the Bartolini electronics are for passive pickups only. Would a Warwick sound good with EMG pickups AND Seymour Duncan electronics?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I've ran Bart pre's with active EMG pups and not had a problem. I don't think any of these pres or the make bass would make any difference, it will still sound like EMG's.

3. Right. It's just...in an earlier post someone said that the preamp should be replaced in the bass. They said they replaced the MEC preamp in their Warwick with an Aguilar and it improved the sound. Still, I know I can use the Bartolini preamp with active, and it will still work.

But can the EMG MMCS be coil-tapped? I'm thinking of having a $$ equipped with EMG's, and apparently, the only options available from the Warwick custom shop are the EMG MMCS. While I probably won't use the coil-tap/series/parallel functions, the lack of the functions will cause the bass to lack some versatility.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    A lot of guys complain and swap out the MECS. It seems the pre is most often the source of the complaint not pups. Never had either but there's been so many posts on it that even I can remember.

Some of the EMG's can single the coil out of a dual (want to say CW but not sure). The EMG site says. Of course it requires a switch but so would any pup. Typically EMG throws the same pup into various housings so as long as the housing is the same size as the ones they use the pup shouldn't be an issue.

Also some of the SD pre's have a slap function off the p/p, and the EMG pre's have the knee dips off the B/T control. The differences in all those pre's is in such other factors as opposed to coloring tone. These happen to be tone shaping factors, size is often a primary consideration and for that it's typically Aguilar.

5. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    The SD pre works fine with EMGs'. Duncan makes one for active pickups. The only difference is the value of the blend or volume pots.

The Duncan preamp is pretty cool. It has the slap switch on the volume knob that cuts the mids and boosts the lows. You can adjust the boost on the preamp. The duncan is quite small. I install them in Jazz basses all the time.

The EMG MMCS is two pickups in one case. So it gets the effect of coil tapping, and you even use both pickups at the same time.

The EMG BTC is a nice sounding preamp also.

6. Hm. I thought the EMG MMTW was two pickups in one case. I guess coil tapping applies to all MM-style EMG pickups.

7. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    It is two pickups in one case. You can't coil tap any EMG's.

But by having a MM-CS and a J in one case you can simulate a coil tap. The J is not really a single coil pickup, but a stacked humbucker that sounds like a single coil pickup. So you can switch between a MM humbucker tone, and a J single coil tone. That's the "tap."

8. Okay. So to have a five-string Warwick $$ with versatility, I would need a MMTW in a five-string housing, which is currently nonexistent.

Can the EMG MMTW be switched from series to parallel as well?

9. Um...I don't quite understand. To have an EMG MMCS and a J in one case...am I supposed to put two EMG J pickups, like, together or something? How can you wire an EMG MMCS to be coil tapped?

10. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    You can't coil tap any EMG pickup. Can't be done.

So EMG makes a few pickups that simulate a coil tap. One of them is the MMTW.

The MMTW looks like a MM pickup, and inside is two EMG pickups, an MM-CS, and between those two coils a J. So think of it as a three coil pickup.

So on one switch setting you have the MM-CS humbucker sound. Then you flip the switch, and you have a J single coil sound. All with no hum.

So this is like having a coil tap, but it's not really a coil tap. It does the same thing though, you get two sounds out of one pickup.

No, you can't wire up EMG pickups series and parallel. They are all in parallel due to the way they hook up to the preamp.

I was just clarifying the MMTW.. but it's not a five string pickup anyway.

They do make the 40TW which is a 5 string soup bar with a 40CS and J in the one case.

The Basslines 5 string MM is a great pickup (they have both ceramic and alnico) and you can wire that series/parallel and single coil.

I have a customer that uses them in all his basses.

11. Thank you.

Now, can any EMG pickups be switched from series to parallel?

12. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    No. You have no access to the coils.

I'm pretty sure they are all wired in parallel.

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Out of curiosity. I've never heard an active EMG that hummed including their J's - which I assume are singles. So why a third coil for humcanceling?

14. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    They call it a three coil pickup, but its actually a four coil pickup.

What they are calling three coils is the two from the MM, and the third is the J. But the J is a stacked humbucker, so it has two coils.

15. Okay...can you switch any passive EMG's through series/parallel/single coil?

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    As David said in a nutshell:

Single: Yes for those that have that switchable option which EMG states on their site.

Series/Parallel option: None of them

But I'm guessing David's probably right about the parallel in most of them so you just can't get series. Regardless either way you'd get one or the other but just not both.

So you're getting 2 out of 3 with the right pup.

The main thing is not the number of options but the tone you get with what you've got. Most guys with a single/series/parallel option setup typically just use one of them most if not all the time. The main advantage to me to having the options is that you really can't know which one you'd prefer without it.

17. This is a very interesting discussion. I have a 4 string Warwick $$, and it doesn't seem to have the same versatility as my Warwick FNA Jazzman. Now my Jazzman which I bought used has the MEC p'ups with SD preamp/electronics in it. It is my favorite bass for my rock band. I bought the double buck as a back-up, and while it has that Warwick growl, I just feel it is lacking when compared to the Jazzman. I'm thinking that maybe the SD electronics (preamp) are what I need. Especially, because it seems to sound so much better when the preamp is bypassed...:confused: