1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Pickups

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by David Studenick, Mar 21, 2006.

1. I've noticed a number of L-5K series basses on the 'bay lately, but haven't had the chance to play any of them.

Could one of you G&L aficionados shed some light on why these were made and how the sound differs from the G&l MFD pickups?

Thanks.

PS This is a seriously cool forum. As soon as I find the right price, I'm springing for an L2K. My trigger finger is itchin.

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    L5000 had one MFD-P style pickup that sounded great. Nice growly sounding B string. Passive volume/tone electronics. Most of them had a sickle shaped headstock. The string spacing was very narrow even compared to a Fender Jazz V or the present G&L L2500. G&L only made 400 of the L5000 . I miss the one I had.
    Next came the L5500 which is similar to today's L2500 except it had the EMG pickups. I believe the pre amp was 18 volts.
    The L2500 is the current model that has the MFD pickups.