EMG Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockin John, Mar 19, 2002.

1. My Bass Collection SB310 4 string is fitted with the above: P style pair @ centre + J style @ bridge.

As one option to upgrading my gear, a new set pups might worth considering.

Is there any wisdom on EMGs - are they any good - and, anyway, is there advice on suitable replacements.

I play finger style (no slap).

Comments please :D

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hmm... lots of people put EMGs in AS the replacement pickups. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is there something about the EMGs that doesn't satisfy you? Are you looking for a different, "less modern" tone?
  3. I have EMGs in both my Spectors and they are fantastic!!! It's the HZs in the Korean - these ar passive EMGs linked to a preamp. I believe the pickups in the Czech one are themselves active going into an on board pre-amp.

What sound is it you're looking for??? I haveto agree with SuperDuck - if it's not broke don't fix it, unless you have something in particular in mind that you can't achieve with the tools you have to hand!!

The only replacement pickups I've put in anything were into my Squier Strat. I popped a SD Hotrails into the bridge pickup - sounded great, nice and fat and warm, but it totally killed the Strat sound!! More recently I put in Texas Specials as I wanted something that sounded better than the stock Squier pickups - with a fuller sound. The Fender pickups retain the Start sound - that out of phase one especially, but are higher output and do sound much fuller!!

I've haven't yet messed with bass pickups as the basses I've got give me the sounds I want as they are!!! Maybe you just need to save up a bit more and justify a new bass:D :D
  4. You've got me wondering now......

First off, tonight if there's time ,I'm going to recheck what it says on the pups. I'm certain they are EMG but, in my rushing about the other day, I could easily have misread it. Perhaps it's EMC or EGM. (I guess that sounds pretty stupid, eh, not knowing what pups are on my bass:eek: ) Oh well.

As for the sound, well, a guy said to me that I should get 'em changed for something better believing that they weren't up to much.

Bass Collections are reckoned to be pretty good basses, aren't they, so I doubt that the pups would be low quality stuff?

Perhaps we'll hold the thread until I find out for certain:D

5. OK. Time to lower my head in total shame. Let the bass players' ridicule descend.

The pups aren't EMG at all.

They're SGC :eek:

I've got a sneaker that SGC is the name of the outfit that produces Bass Collection.

Perhaps my original question about their worth still stands.

6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    D'oh! :D

Sorry John, I'm not familiar with those pickups... but hey, another mystery solved, right?
  7. 2pods

Mar 27, 2002

I had a Bass Collection fretless with these pups, and found them nice and warm.
    Not at all disimilar to my EMG Hz's on my Korean Spector.
    If anything the Bass Collection circuit makes more sense, as it has a volume and pan instead of two pup volumes.

I don't know which model you have but BC had three ranges when I bought mine. The most expensive basses were finished in paduak, the middle range (mine) were see-through wood (mine was Honeyburst), and the cheaper ones were painted. They were all good basses.

Hope this helps ? :)