EMG Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Budonze, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    Here's the deal, I am looking into 2 EMG EXTENDED Series EMG-40DC (Dual Coil) pickups for my Ibanez 5 string bass ( dont know if anyone noticed but the pickups arent that great), I was wondering if anyone know how good these sound, i talked to the local guitar store and they said there good for lows, which i want, but i want to know what type of sounds these pickups offer, any help would be accepted very gratefully!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Before chucking away the pickups, try bypassing the active electronics. Usually manufacturers cut corners on their preamps, rather than on their pickups. Maybe it would sound better if it were passive.

Will C.:cool:
  3. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Will C.
    I was just wondering how exactly would you bypass the electronics. Thanks
  4. Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    ok, one, the only thing the preamp on Ibanez basses do is add volume, which is nice, but i dont like the overall sounds, i have played with the preamp off, but it just doesnt have the same thickness i am looking for, which is why i want new pickups.

two, to bypass the preamp, you can either turn it off, or rewire your pickups to go around it. IE not hooked up to it.