EMG Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Assumer, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Question, I played a used bass at southpaw last year and it had some great sounding EMG pickups in it. My question is: when you purchase a set, say a jazz set, do they come with all you need or do you need preamps or any other attatchments to get the most out of them?
  2. Yes,an EMG Jazz set comes with two volume and one tone pot,a battery clip and a jack all prewired.The preamp is built into the pickups.If you want active bass,treble and mids you'll have to add these.
  3. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Next question, what will adding the active bass, mid, and treble do for you? I am new to this so please excuse the lack of knowledge. I keep seeing adds for preamps such as aguilar and such. Do these just wire into the pickups and pots to add to the system? Any suggestions for a pickup system to fit a jazz bass to get a good steely dan smooth and round kind of bass sound?
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It gives you more control of your sound from the bass, rather than from the amp.
    In a passive system, you can really only subtract - volume or tone, and the tone is at a fixed frequency. In an active system, you can cut/boost treble, bass and sometimes mids too, often at variable frequencies so you can do room adjustment onboard. All my basses are active, so I set the tone on the bass so I don't need to change the amp settings when changing basses.

EMG pickups will give you a mild EQ pre-shaping on their own, so you can get a good enough sound with just the EMG pups & pot set. I have a Hot Rod Precision with EMG pickups and a P-Retro preamp which gives me additional bass/treble cut/boost. This helps compensate and add more bass when the J pup is soloed, but then take some off when the P is soloed. But the EMG system on it's own will give you a great sound. I'm not sure if I'd describe it as Steely Dan bass sound though.
  5. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Even though the EMG's come prewired, there is still some soldering to do at the pots. The EMG's come with quick connects at the pickups and loose ends to feed to the pots.