1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG piezo system- help with the crackle!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tom Henry, Nov 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I have an old Azola custom bass from about '96. i played it religiously for a few years, and then started playing other basses. My mom let me take my life savings out and purchase it when i was a junior in high school. She recently passed away, and was thinking of playing this on a few upcoming gigs coming up with my band that occasionally does traditional irish pub band stuff. (i've played upright with them before, this would sound similar.)

Problem is, when i switched out the battery and plugged it in last night, there was a crackle, and i had to get the cable sitting just right for the sound to come clear, otherwise there was crackling and/or no sound from the bass.

Anyone have any suggestions?

There is only a piezo pick up, and i think i remember the pre-amp being an EMG. I typically don't mess with wiring in my basses, so i'm not sure if there is an easy fix, or i should just take it in, but if i take it in, i won't be able to use it thursday night.

TLDR: Help! Old bass, seldom used! Makes weird noises! WHat do i do?

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Check the jack connections, and squirt some DeOxit or Radio Shack contact cleaner on a Q-Tip to swab into and around the jack contacts. Maybe just some carbon or oxidation between the contacts. The jack is tight, and has not turned to maybe short out a terminal?