EMG PJ and PJX clips

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyM, Apr 29, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Trying to decide which of these two sets of EMG's I want on my 95 P Lyte. Couldn't decide if I wanted PJ's or PJX's, so I got both + a BQC preamp. Blew up the BQC by accidentally touching two boards together, so I got another. So now I've done one gig with the PJ's and I'll do one with the PJX's tomorrow, but in the meantime I recorded samples of both in case anyone else was wondering about the differences.

My P Lyte is strung with dead D'addario Chromes, and I had the tone controls on the BQC centered. I went into my A-Designs REDDI tube DI and into my M-Audio 2496 soundcard at 44.1hz, made 112k mono MP3's with LAME, each are approx 1 meg. in size. Used the exact same level on the REDDI and the exact same pickup heights to give you an idea about their relative outputs. Played three short lines...a walking bass line, "I was Made To Love Her" sort of, and "Make Me Smile". First two fingers, third pick.

Here's the P pickups by themselves:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/27/1885410/PLyte-01-EMGP.mp3
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/27/1885410/PLyte-02-EMGPX.mp3

Here's the J pickups by themselves:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/27/1885410/PLyte-03-EMGJ.mp3
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/27/1885410/PLyte-04-EMGJX.mp3

Here's both pickups together:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/27/1885410/PLyte-05-EMGPJ.mp3
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/27/1885410/PLyte-06-EMGPJX.mp3

I'll refrain from commenting because I think they're both what I'm looking for, though one speaks to me a little more in the highs while one speaks to me more in the lows. Probably a moot point with the BQC installed, but I figured you all might have some opinions, and might be interested to hear the differences for yourselves.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hey, good feedback, folks. Thank you.

:(

3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I plan on checking these out (looking at putting a set in), but would not do a disservice to your work listening on my laptop. I will check them out tonight with my good headphones.

4. Doll

Doll Versus Doll

Jan 31, 2010
    Saskatchewan
    That's cool man, thanks for recording, very similar beasts. What differences are you noticing between the two?
    I just put a set of EMG PJX in my Squier Precision Standard Special after the stock P cut out, I generally mix only P and no J, I actually have the PJX wired as such, currently P with master volume only. Love the clarity out of these pups.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thanks Lync! I think you can hear the differences on laptop speakers but you do lose a lot in the translation.

So after playing with the BQC for a while, I think I can get the sounds I like out of either set of pickups. I can match EQ's to my 76 Precision with both. That BQC is quite nice, especially having a sweepable mid control. Not as big into the treble of the PJX's as the PJ's but the treble knob brings it back to where I like it, plus it is kind of nice to be able to have it when using flats. That way you can get that flats + pick attack tic-tac sound that works well in a lot of the songs we do. So I'm probably going to keep the X's in the Lyte and put the PJ's in my parts P since I don't have an active preamp for it yet. But if I had a preamp for both, then I don't think it would matter as much to me which ones go where. They're both killer sounding and the preamp will do pretty much anything I need.

6. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

While I can hear very minute differences between the two sets, I have to say they both sound fantastic and I don't think you can go wrong with either set. Just reaffirms for me why EMG's are my favorite pickups and always have been. Nice work!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm noticing more extreme low end and treble with the PJX's. I really dig the boost in the lows, but generally don't go in for that much treble. But you can tame it down with the preamp or the passive tone control so it's all good.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh sorry...I forgot...pics or it didn't happen ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Clearly, you and I have different laptops. Fortunately for me, I have a set of earbuds in my laptop bag.

I like the X's better - especially the P pickup. There seems to be more going on down low, and in a good way.

I just put a JAX set in my jazz bass - its all over 'cept the routing. Do you notice that the fret noise in all your tracks has a distinct "EMG" character to it? It stood out to me because I notice the same thing with the JAX pickups.

10. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I replaced the stock EMG pickups in my Guild Pilot with EMG-Xs and was very pleased with the improvement in clarity and balance--but especially in the headroom, an airiness I haven't much found in EMGs. Now, mind you, the existing EMGs in the Pilot were from the late 80s and I juiced the voltage to 18V to increase the headroom as well. About all I can really say is that the EMG-Xs (PJ) at 18V are *very* nice pickups.

11. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Just listened. Same thing I experienced with the Pilot. *Definitely* the Xs. Deeper and airier at once.

Were both running at the same voltage?

12. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks Jimmy, I like the x's, I guess it is time to gut the P Lyte. the pickups and preamp will cost me more than the bass did.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Kind of, yeah. Never really thought about it being an EMG characteristic...just thought the extra treble was what brought it out. But yeah, come to think of it, it does sound pretty unique to EMG's.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep, 9v. Tried to go 18v but there's no room in the cavity without smushing something.

Troy, if it makes you feel any better, it was because of your Lyte that I bought one in the first place. But I just couldn't abide by those stock pickups. Thought they sounded really good at home, but then I used them on a gig and it just didn't translate like the EMG's do.

15. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Ooh, I like the x's better. Has that EMG clarity, but more tone and less processing if that makes sense. That will be the way I go, thanks for the clips.

16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I'm gonna say I just don't like EMG pups, sorry. IMO they both sound very similar. They are not my cup of tea but I'm certain they work well.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    all the Xs i've installed, guitar and bass, have been head-and-shoulders more lively and dynamic than the old versions. as far as i'm concerned, the old ones are just obsolete.

(also, i would do what it took to get that setup to 18V, especially running the EQ, too.)

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah Walter, maybe I can work something out...I'll poke around in there and see...I would like to run 18v. But I have to say I totally disagree with you about regular PJ's being obsolete now. I still like them a lot. I do like the top end of the X's for some stuff, but for the most part, I'm going to dial it back some. And other than an extreme treble and bass boost, which I'd never want anyway, I really don't see where one has a clear advantage over the other when the preamp's installed. Only if I didn't have the preamp would I be having to make the "hard choice."

EDIT: 18v ain't happening. It's such a tight cavity and there's really only one way the boards can be positioned in there without additional routing, which ain't happening, either.

19. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    The X pickup clips sounds more open and natural, IMO. Though not my taste, the older EMGs have a midrange voice that some might prefer (they sound sort of more "fretlessy").

20. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    Hey Jimmy,

you might try the emg outboard power supply thingy - it does 18v.

I use two TWs in single coil mode with a 3 band eq (wich i rarely use) and adding a second battery did improvethe headroom a bit - especially on the low strings.

I am too thinking about the X series - your samples sound pretty close, but that might be due to the low bitrate and flats.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021