1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG PJX pickup setup issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Snowbro, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    First of all I have to excuse my poor english and the overrall quality of this post. I am exhausted from two days of struggling with this pickup issue, having never setup pickups before going into a full immersion to try and solve the problem, countless screwing and unscrewing, attaching and deattaching wires, adding and removing strings did take their toll.

Hello! I have recently bought a pair of EMG PJX pickups.
    The installation was quite straightforward as they required no soldering, but some behaviors were weird:
    Volume/tone control did nothing (or at least not what was expected)
    They had no sound without a battery
    Not only turning volume all the way down did nothing, unplugging the pickups (but leaving them connected to the battery bus) did not change the way the sounded
    The sound was like they when you go overdrive af with the preamp
    There is massive noise

I don't know why I used the past form, I am still having these issues. I don't know what to do. I have contacted EMG to try and get some help, but I have a feel that I either used the wrong form (do they have more than one? I contacted the "sales" team) or they will take a while to respond. I hope not.

Here are a bunch of videos regarding the setup and the issues, the very first one is a pure introduction of the setup so if you are curious about how I may have managed to fail such an easy setup please have a look.
    MEGA

Questions you may want to ask:
    Is that bass poorly crafted? Very.
    Are you trying thick strings & BEAD tuning on a poorly crafted bass? Yes.
    Have you ever done a pickup installation before? No
    What exactly do you know about sound engineering? Nothing
    Why did you not just get help from a professional? I would like to learn and save some bucks

Thanks everyone in advance

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Try a brand new battery?

EMG connectors have little arrows, they always face up when you plug them in.

There is no sound without a battery, that is correct. A weak battery may sound very distorted.

Hope this helps.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As @RyanOh stated, there will be no sound without the battery connected.

Also, pay VERY close attention to the installation instructions. The quick connectors have little arrows on one side, but sometimes it is instructed for them to be reversed. This can also be verified by checking to see if the black and white wires are on the left or right.

4. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    hI @RyanOh and @Slater and thank you for your answers! Glad to hear that no sound with no battery is normal: one less thing to worry about.
    The battery is brand new, maybe it was flawed. I will check with another battery. I did pay close attention to the up/down facing of the connectors, tho I have to say I wouldn't be able to explain why I still get sound when I start to unplug stuff (video 5) or why the volume knobs don't work. Muting pickups should be possible if I turn the volume all the way down, right?

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes.
    I couldn’t view your videos without the app.

Here’s an EMG customer service contact to try instead of waiting for a reply from filling out their online form: Allison Turner - aturner@emgpickups.com

RyanOh likes this.
  6. If you haven’t yet, you should try wiring the pickups, one at a time, straight to the output jack. If they both work then you can start adding the pots.

7. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Why did I not think about it? I made a fallback setup as I couldn't connect the pickup to the output. I connected it to a volume knob and then the output.
    Just as a referece I made this video (I added it to the mail to EMG)
    MEGA

The volume knob still does not work. Nothing seems to make sense, but at least I can play...

8. rejb87

rejb87

Jul 20, 2017
    Hello Sir,

I once had a problem with the same pickup set,I talked to
    Eric @emg and was advised to remove all Shielding as the EMG X pickups are pre-shielded could this be Your problem?

9. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Unfotrunately not. Also, Erich never responded to me. To put it in formal terms, I was quite pissed.

10. rejb87

rejb87

Jul 20, 2017
    check the soldering of your pots to see if its come apart

11. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    I have already given back the pickups, got a refund and went with Dimarzio's.
    I did have to solder stuff but after that I can say I am very satisfied. They work like a charm!