1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG PJX w/ BQC System wiring issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Suavu, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Suavu

Suavu

Apr 21, 2014
    I'm having trouble wiring these together. Either I'm getting nothing or lots of distortion. I've done everything that I could think of or find on with the instructions but I'm lost. I'm looking to get some help with this. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Contact EMG-
    They're reputed to be really good with CS.

3. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Im pretty sure one of the connectors with the BQS needs to be upside down. looks at the instructions real close.

4. Suavu

Suavu

Apr 21, 2014
    Yeah I've tried that. I've gone through the instructions so many times.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    go through 'em again :banghead:

EMGs got way harder for me to install when they went to the god***n plug in connections on the pots! i've had to raise my install prices 'cause it takes so much longer to figure out, with much of that time spent staring at the murky diagrams.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Now you tell me!

Riis

walterw likes this.
  7. Suavu

Suavu

Apr 21, 2014
    I've done it so many times. I'm just getting low output and tons of distortion. Thanks for the help though guys. I really appreciate it!

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    look for non-obvious things like connectors placed backwards, including into the pickups themselves.

if it really really is all correct, time to start eliminating variables; first try bypassing the preamp entirely, see if both pickups sound right straight through.

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, pop open that G&L and look at the wire sculpture i had to make to connect 5 separate flying leads to a row of pins 1/16" apart ;)

not only is the solderless-connector version more of a pain to lay out, the connecting push-on wire jumpers they do give you are made from a wire that's far worse to solder to, with insulation that melts way quicker than the old white EMG coax wire.

the old EMG pres had flying leads already, it was effortless to integrate them into any instrument.

(i'm bitching, but i do still really like the sound and performance of those simple little EMG EQ preamps like the BTC and BTS; clean, the EQ is musical and not over-hyped, and flat really is flat.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    By all means, don't hesitate to contact EMG when you have a problem. It's possible a component is bad. EMG's QC is really good but stuff happens. However, the vast majority of the time it's one connector you missed ;)

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    True on all counts. I saw the wiring harness firsthand when I set the DIP switches...but that's another thread. These are also the least expensive pre's...think I spent $60 for the latest BTS. I paid $15 for a single knob BTC which resides in my Schack.

Riis

12. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Ive had the same issue, Low output and distorted. The connectors to the pickups were upside down. Second install I did I missed the plug the is suppose to be upside down. ..