1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG plug and play questions, LJ pickups BTC preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Mar 11, 2013.

1. I've been all over the place looking for new pickups and a preamp for my Warwick Thumb BO 5. I've finally found a matched set of EMG LJ's that I'm going to purchase.

I've researched preamps and have looked at several from every possible company I could find. I even researched making my own preamp.

I think I've decided to just go with EMG on the preamp. I like what the BTC system has to offer. It'll fit my bass, it has center detent pots, and its affordable.

Ok so all that is fine and dandy. My question is this. The EMG pickups I'm going to buy have the plug in style wire leads on them, but the ends that would plug into the preamp have been cut.

Is this an issue? I don't think it is, but I'm trying to make sure I my cross my t's and dot my lowercase j's here.

I tried looking around to see if I could buy new leads for the pickups but I didn't see anywhere that offered them.

I dont mind to do a little soldering if I have to. I just want to make sure the BTC will work, and figure out if I can buy new leads, or if I have to solder, where to solder to.

I've been checking out the BTC over at bestbassgear.com, here's the link-
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/emg-btc-system.htm

I've noticed they sell wiring kits with pots and stuff. They appear to include the wires I'm looking for, but I can't find just those wires by themselves.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    So you say only one end is missing on the leads? So the pickups will still have the "plug" end?

If so, don't fret............You can still solder the wires to the circuit board on the BTC system.....

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    As Rickett said, you can solder the other end onto the BTC, no prob.

BUT, the guys at BBG are great! Just because its not on their website doesn't mean that it's not available. Give them a call/email, and explain what you got. They might be able to supply you with new quick-connect cables after all.

4. I would prefer the quick connect cables, but if I have to solder its not too big.of a deal. I just didn't want to solder to the preamp, then decide I don't like it, or want something different, and then have to take a big loss on the BTC if I sold it, because I soldered connections to it.

To answer the question, yes, the pickups still have the cables attached. The end that plugs into the pickup is still there and is fine. Its just the end that goes to the preamp that's been cut.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    There is one more way to do this then, it would require you to solder the wires to the pickup, if you don't want any solder on the BTC. You can solder a tip of the wires to the pins and used heatshrink to isolate the exposed areas.

6. Any EMG dealer should be able to get you the wiring. I was able to purchase one separately a year ago.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So they don't. Sorry bout that. Call EMG then. They do sell the wires with both ends, and they might be nice enough just to send you a couple. Couldn't find them on the web with both ends but EMG is a good company and they'll likely try to help you out.