1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG plus MEC Active?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by katonart, Apr 19, 2009.

1. I have a PJ frankenbass with an EMG active P pickup. I just purchased a set of MEC active jazz pickups from someone on Talkbass. I bought them because they appeared to have exactly the same wiring (white shielded wire plus power supply wire) as the EMG. So I put one of the MEC's in the jazz position on the bass. I wired them each to a 25k volume pot in the standard jazz bass way (as shown on emg jazz pickup diagrams) I skipped the tone control because I did not have room for it and rarely use one.

So the wired up bass works and sounds fine, in general, but I am getting a couple of weird electrical problems, as follows: 1) as I rotate each volume pot, it goes through a spot where it cuts out (at about 3/4 volume). If I turn past that spot, it cuts back in. 2) The bass makes significant electical noise sometimes when I move it to a different angle or tap the pickguard.

Is there some basic incompatibility between these active pickups? The wires coming out of them look so similar I would swear the are from the same manufacturer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

2. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I thought the MEC uses a 500k vol pot? I had an emg btc installed in my Warwick w/ MECs, I'm pretty sure my tech said they took a 500k pot. I suppose you could disconnect one, see how it works, disconnect the other, if they work well independantly you may have some incompatiblilty.