Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Preamps- Shops that ships international?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ny_chan, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Anyone? I am looking for a shop that ships EMG preamps internationally. Got myself an EMG PJ set and couldn't find a matching EMG preamp around here. Looking for either the BQC or BTS system....:meh:
    Really appreciate it if you can help..

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't know. Often they're are new pre's listed on Ebay and you could contact the seller if he listed other shipping before bidding to see if he would ship to you. But, I don't recall EMG's 3 bands showing often when I used to watch for preamps. BTC's were pretty regular. Personally, I'd take the BTC over the BQC anyway.

I personally wouldn't get hung up on the preamp though. The BTS with the blend is designed specifically to work with EMG's but the BQC is not. I ran the BQC, Bart NTMB, and Aguilar OBP-3 as outboards with a myriad of passive and active pups from different manufacturers and there was no tonal variation worthy of concern - certainly not to where I would choose one over another based on their tone shaping excluding the following.

I learned from that experience that I have no interest in variable mid controls. With the BQC you don't have a choice cause a variable mid is built in, it's optional with the Aguilar, and not available with the Bart.

Most the aftermarket pre's are designed to work with any pups and are basically "transparent" so to speak. They primarily boost/cut the three bands and it's the boost/cut and 3 band control that's blatantly apparent, not the tone shaping of each band. Basically sounds like more or less of the same thing.

So whatever they use in Malaysia that's equivalent I'm guessing would be exactly that. Somebody was talking about Arctec's recently and haven't heard much on them in the US. For some reason I'm thinking they were made in Asia someplace and I ran across a post in Harmonycentral on a bass where the guy was a luthier and was using them. I'd speculate they're unlikely too substandard if at all.

I will say that I prefer active EMG's with an onboard preamp. Takes them to another level.

I've never tried something like a Sans Di or MXR M80 with the EMG's but that's another thought cause they're essentially outboard preamps with additonal pluses. The DI, driving a power amp, etc. You don't have to change anything in your bass and you can use them with any bass or guitar for that matter. You won't have access to the pre control aboard but you'd still have your passive onboard controls to work with.

3. Technically active EMGs have a lot of advantages. They have smaller magnets, uses bar magnets, low impedence, very quiet and many more.
    My opinion is they sound "sterile" because they do not color the real sound of the bass much and can be very revealing if u make mistakes.
    It seems that their BTC, BQC or BTS are some of the most economical tone shaping circuits around.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

This part was not correct: The BTS with the blend is designed specifically to work with EMG's but the BQC is not. They have a "control" and a "system" preamp, the "system" includes a blend control that is designed to work only with their pups and they have the same thing without the blend in a "control" unit that can be used with any manufacturers pups. So the point is the same but ancronyms for specific units is not correct. Their site specifies it though, whatever it is.

5. If I get other preamps like noll that comes with their owm volume and blend pots, will EMG pickups work properly with these pots?

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the stock passive harness for the active EMG pups is three
    25K audio pots v/v/t. You can check with EMG but seems as long as the volumes are 25K, the rest is no issue. Noll may now also. At some point I would think I ran the EMGs through the Bart and Aggie preamps but I don't remember. I would verify that with EMG before picking up the preamp. For that matter, they may hook you up with an overseas EMG distributor when you contact them if you're still up for one of their pres.

7. just my $.02 (whatever that converts to in Malaysian currency :) )...but why not purchase an outboard preamp, like a Sadowsky or an Aquilar DB924?...you can leave the bass alone, it will work with other basses, as well (including future basses)...and if you don't like it, you can sell it easily.

If I were building a new bass...or doing a MAJOR reconstruction, i'd select an onboard model...but, IMO, once the beast is built, outboards are the way to go.

8. Well there are pros and cons to outboards as well.
    I'm actually replacing the pups and all the electronics, the entire electronics....