Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG P's...Not enough grind

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I have a Fender MIM Precision Bass that I fitted an EMG P into, but unfortunately I am not getting the metal grind I want, and I've grinded on other basses with EMG's which sound incredible. What can I do to add grind to my bass? The P has a nice sound, it sounds like it should, but what do I add to make it grind a little bit, make it slaptastic? I don't want to remove the pickup, but I was thinking about fitting an EMG soapbar in the bridge position. These are on the list.
    EMG 35J
    EMG 35DC
    EMG 35CS
    Any suggestions?
    Oh, and I have messed with my EQ and distortion pedal. No dice. Should I fit a preamp EQ in there?

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    A bridge p/u.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have a 35DC in the bridge position on my ESP. I can get a really aggressive tone, especially with the bridge soloed. Highly recommended.

Graeme

4. J pup at the bridge would do it

5. any pickup in the bridge position will work...an EMG J pickup would be my first choice, because a J is a little more agressive than a soap and would balance off the P nicely...

However, with that said, a soapbar would be great, too. Go for the most agressive sounding soap that EMG makes...(checking out their site, hold on...) From the site, the 35J wins...IMO.

For a single "sweet spot" pickup bass, I'd probably go with the the 35DC. But I digress.

6. Cool thanks you guys. Any difference between the single-coil EMG J and the soapbar 35J. Frankly, a humbucker would look sick, but is there a difference between the two?