1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG P's...Not enough grind

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I have a Fender MIM Precision Bass that I fitted an EMG P into, but unfortunately I am not getting the metal grind I want, and I've grinded on other basses with EMG's which sound incredible. What can I do to add grind to my bass? The P has a nice sound, it sounds like it should, but what do I add to make it grind a little bit, make it slaptastic? I don't want to remove the pickup, but I was thinking about fitting an EMG soapbar in the bridge position. These are on the list.
    EMG 35J
    EMG 35DC
    EMG 35CS
    Any suggestions?
    Oh, and I have messed with my EQ and distortion pedal. No dice. Should I fit a preamp EQ in there?

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    A bridge p/u.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have a 35DC in the bridge position on my ESP. I can get a really aggressive tone, especially with the bridge soloed. Highly recommended.

Graeme

4. J pup at the bridge would do it

5. any pickup in the bridge position will work...an EMG J pickup would be my first choice, because a J is a little more agressive than a soap and would balance off the P nicely...

However, with that said, a soapbar would be great, too. Go for the most agressive sounding soap that EMG makes...(checking out their site, hold on...) From the site, the 35J wins...IMO.

For a single "sweet spot" pickup bass, I'd probably go with the the 35DC. But I digress.

6. Cool thanks you guys. Any difference between the single-coil EMG J and the soapbar 35J. Frankly, a humbucker would look sick, but is there a difference between the two?