Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG PU and BTC in Warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ram2, May 13, 2005.

1. ram2

ram2

Jul 16, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I am planning on installing EMG pickups and the BTC control system in my corvette standard (passive) bass. Are there any problems with that setup that I should be aware of? Will the electronics and batteries (plan to run 18v) fit in the compartment without any routing work?

Also, can anyone recommend a good installer in the Houston area?

Thanks for any help.

Alan

2. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    No problems whatsoever. The BTC Control is a very small unit, so you'll have plenty of room in the control cavity.

3. funkees

funkees

Jul 3, 2005
    Hi ram2. So how is the new set up? Any improvements? I have a corvette too, but found that the sound isn't good enough. It is bright but not really warm with fat lows. I too have thoughts of getting in the same configuration like yours. Maybe you would like to post some sound samples? :smug:

4. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have the BTC system and EMG's in my Corvette Standard fretless. The tone is,....is,.......ok. Changes are in the works. I previously also had the BTC system crammed into my Aerodyne Jazz. That didn't last long at all. No balls at all. Very tinny sounding. Couldn't get any significant low end or punch. I am back to EMG Vol., Vol., Tone controls for the EMG pups I put in that bass. I am going back to passive for the Warwick.

5. funkees

funkees

Jul 3, 2005
    ...thats very disappointing to hear. Was expecting something good. Seems like I have to source for another make. Heard that SDs are good.

6. Hi guys!

I've been told that if you change the 25k Master pot to a 500K one you can run the BTS or BTC System with any passive pickup...

would this be true?

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes, any EMG EQ circuit (BTS, BQC) can be used with passive pickups. You essentially wire the passive pickups to normal volume & pan controls (250k or 500k depending on the pickups) and then add the EMG circuit. Now that said I think the Aguilar OBP-1 is a better sounding EQ if you're worried about having enough bass boost.

8. Are you sure? Remember, I'm talking about the emg SYSTEM (the one that cames with active pre+vol+BLEND).

The active pre runs with passive or active, doesn't matter. The thing is the vol+BLEND part, in the EMG manual it says it only wors with low impedance pickups
    but, like I've said, someone told me that changing the Master Volume'd do the trick

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The blend control will only work correctly with active pickups.