Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG pu's in G&L L5500 vs L2500 pu's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Trent-35, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Hi guys. Since i've yet to get to try out ANY G&L's, i was curious what the tonal differences were between the L5500 with the EMG's vs the L2500 with the G&L factory pu's. I've heard some people diss the EMG's in the L5500, but they don't really say why. What pu's are in other G&L's like the SB2's and the ASAT basses? Thanks, Trent

2. One of the coolest things about the L-2000/2500/ASAT basses is the huge number of switching options available in the wiring - series/parallel, active/passive/treble boost, etc. The L-5500 with the EMG's isn't nearly as versatile tonally because you can only run it active and there's no way to play it passive.

I've never actually played an L-5500 so I can't really comment on the sound of the EMG's. I do know that the stock G&L electronics in the L-2500 sound fantastic and there are so many different settings available.

As for other G&L's - the SB-1 and SB-2 are passive basses with very high output pickups that Leo designed in the '80's. I love mine - my SB-2 is the best sounding passive "Fender" I've ever had IMO.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The humbuckers used in the L series basses are very distinctive sounding.

The EMGs sound like, well, EMGs which makes the L5500 an odd duck, a G&L that doesn't sound like other G&Ls.

There's nothing worng with the sound or the bass, it's just different.

4. Thanks for the info guys. It is very cool that the L2000 & L2500 has so many diff tone options on it. The thing is, for my style, i don't need that many. I play country, rockabilly, some rock and blues. I don't slap alot, or play jazz. I tend to lean to the P bass sound, but have nothing against active basses. I'm just trying to find a good 5 string that's gonna work well for me. I've tried out Stingray 5's several times at stores, and they just don't feel like my "friend". I did like the Roscoe beck alot, but not sure what way to go. Trent

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an L-5500 & have owned an L-2500 & own an L-2000. I am an EMG guy. All my basses have EMG's except 2. An L-2000 & a P w/Duncan 1/4 lb p/j. I love the sound of the L-5500. I aslo think that the stock G&L pick-ups are better than any stock pick-up. I'm talking every model p/u. I've compared many G&L to other basses w/the same pick-up and/or pre-amp configuration & the G&L's are great (second to Spectors, of course ;))

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm with Nino on this. The stock G&L pups in a 2000/2500 are great, I like their sound a lot.

The pickups are HOT, and the tonal variations are the most versatile of ANY stock configurations in their price range. The switching options will have you coaxing all sorts of sounds out of them.

I have a couple new L-2000's, and I consider them a welcomed addition to my stable. Not only can these G&L's emulate other sought after basses, but they can have a sound that's all their own too. I give props to G&L for those stock pups, they kick.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played several L-5500s and own an old L-2000E. Maybe once or twice a year I come across a bass with EMGs that doesn't make me cringe, like a Fodera 4 string. That hardly means they're bad pickups, it just means I don't like them.

The thing an L2K-series gives you that I don't think the EMG-equipped L-5500 does is a big, phat sound (in addition to everything else it does;)). It just seems to push a lot more air than the EMGs, which tend to be brighter. The combination of being able to pump like a P bass with Jazz bass articulation is irresistable, to me. YMMV.

For the music you've described, I'd go with the L-2500, if you can deal with the string spacing (which is the same on the L-5500). Through a rig that can handle it, it sounds great.