1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

emg question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by den-nish, Mar 29, 2009.

1. den-nish

den-nish

May 28, 2008
    hey guy! i just picked up a hohner fretless pj style bassfor very cheap the only reason i bought it was because it has a set of emgs in it and i figured the $120 bucks for the bass was worth it....well these pickups sound really really bad.at first i thought it was pickup height so i raise them ,didn't help change strings didn't help any suggestion.could they be hooked up wrong..i don't even no how to descibe the sound...and yes i changed the battery

hope someone can point me in the right direction
    thanks

2. Are they powered EMGs or Passive EMG Selects.

Product Range
    EMG Inc. have two distinct product ranges; EMG (standard series) are the 'flagship' pickups developed and distributed by EMG as high quality, pro choice pickups. Made in the USA, these pickups are the items of choice for many musicians from Metal to Jazz genres. All are active pickups, except for the HZ series; which are passive alternatives offered by EMG.

The Select series (sold as 'Select, designed by EMG') is the low cost, entry level pickup version of the EMG standard series. They are similar in design to the standard series, but with less precise manufacturing, lower quality materials, and a slightly different design. All the pickups in this series are passive.

:bag:

3. den-nish

den-nish

May 28, 2008
    no man there powered emgs

4. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Take the bass in to see a professional for a setup. If you can find a shop that is licensed for EMG pickups, all the better. It's going to be a little difficult to get an accurate explanation from an internet forum where nobody knows what your bass even sounds like.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    ^ What he said...

6. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Had EMG on my warwick corvette and they sound fantastic. Have you play with a bass with EMG before? The sound is totally different from passive bass or a bass with passive pickup and active preamp.

EQ on your amp or any other pedal will need to be adjusted if you not use a bass with EMG before. When i had my bass with EMG fitted I spend awhile getting the correct sound.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Check the wiring and especially the output jack. Sometimes if the jack is not making a good connection, or is not pushed in all the way, the pickups don't power up right and can sound distorted.