1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG question..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by baba, Apr 19, 2010.

1. I have some active EMG P pickups I pulled out of a bass. The only thing they have on the back is a sticker reading "HHH". Can anyone tell me which pickups these are?

2. wreckerman

wreckerman

Sep 16, 2009
    I'm waiting on a reply on similer question i asked earlier, Mine says CAC on one sticker on one split and HIB on the other sticker on the other Split,
    Are your wires the push fit type??

3. No, they are hard wired into the pickup. They came out of a 84 P so they could very well be from the 80's. Maybe there was only one type of EMG P active pickup back then...?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think you've pretty much got it--there was only one EMG P-pickup available at the time, from what I remember. Even now, there really aren't many types of active EMG P pickup beyond the original model you have, just a couple variations that are designed with wider magnetic fields for 5- and 6-string basses (P5 and P6), and a new "PA" model with alnico magnets.

Mike

5. wreckerman

wreckerman

Sep 16, 2009
    So We've both got pretty much the same P'ups then I have the J as well, wonder if they're worth something as i guess you could call them Vintage..

Cheers for the info, as i got my question answered, just in a different thread...

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The letters on the back of the EMGs is the date they were made, A=1, B=2, and so on.

So "HHH" is August 1988.

"HIB" would be Feb '89 (8-9-2).

I don't know what they use since we chanced centuries. "CAC" doesn't make any sense.

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Maybe that one sounds like caca?

8. Perfect, thanks!

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    :D

10. wreckerman

wreckerman

Sep 16, 2009
    I have HIB on the back of both So 1989 Active Emg P'ups in a Charvel that cost £150 :hyper:
    The LJ5 seems to be the P'up name, not sure about the 5 tho.. and CAC = testers sticker??
    as the CAC sticker is on the back of both, ah well not to worry,
    But can i call em Vintage though,
    Might Ebay em soon as i want to find some Original Jackson P'ups and restore the bass back to original, well original appart from the new Paint job..

But again Cheers for the info..

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Cool. Yes, LJ5 is the bridge Jazz pickup's name. That's Long Jazz 5. The pickup works for 5 string basses. I had a set in my Ibanez SR-885 once.

CAC is probably the person who tested or assembled the pickup.

The Jackson pickups aren't anything special. I removed the set from my Charvel guitar.

I have a Jackson bass here I'm doing some work on today.

12. wreckerman

wreckerman

Sep 16, 2009
    See now thats Odd as I'd have thought that a P'up for s 5 String Bass would be Longer than that for a 4 String, and the Pocket hasn't been made any bigger, So not sure there, but JL5 would make sense..

I was only going to go back to Jacksons for the sake of originality as i don't actually Play, just restore and the bass was so cheap that the Pup's are hopefully worth what i paid for the Whole Bass,
    People seem to go on about Old "vintage" Gear being better and a lot of the time worth more than new stuff, so if i can get for the Pups what i paid for the bass in the first place it's all a bonus..

I'm at present hand sanding a Charvels P'up pockets out ready for a full respray...