EMG question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by odie, Jan 4, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Is there a way to bump up the gain on the preamp other than using the treble, bass, mid boost.

This is a EMG set in a Modulus. Sounds good, but my gain light on my EDEN doesnt even start to blink until I have the gain almost 3/4.
  2. I don't know if EMG preamps have it but you should check your electronics compratment for a trimpot that changes preamp gain, or you could buy one of those EMG PA2 boosters , of which i am fairly sure that it has a trimpot to chose gain
  3. OK, these'll sound like real dumb questions, but they have caought me out before (once each!)

Is the battery new (assuming the EMG is active)?

Is it put into the correct input jack passive/active?

Other than that, not sure.:)
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you get your preamp to clip at 3/4 gain then surely that's fine? If not, you could consider adding another battery that may give some more output by taking the system to 18v. Alternatively if you have passive and active inputs on the amp, try the passive one - I always use the passive input on my SWR GP with my EMG'd Warwick.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nope it is a 18v preamp with new batteries.

Its an Eden so there is no passive/active jack.

The volume is good, its just the set gain light will not come on until about 3/4 pf pre gain.
  6. I've never heard of anyone complaining that their clip light wouldnt come on :)

I have EMG's in my Spector (9v) and my Navigator will clip at about 11 o'clock with the bass at full volume. But I play pretty hard with my fingers. I'm not saying this is right and yours is wrong, maybe mines wrong and yours is right.

Glad I caught this thread and saw that 18V mod link, I may give that a shot if I can figure out where to put the other battery. But maybe not, my other Spector will be an 18V anyhow.

7. OK - just thought I'd ask!!! Sometimes it's the simple things (as I've found out the hard way!)

Well, it's out of my depth now, hopefully someone else can help!!:)

8. All my Spectors are currently 9v! I think I'll ned to lok into this 18v mod........:)
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well then, let me HELP YA OUT!

Dirk in one of his posts asked if he should upgrade his pre amp to a 18volt one, he was asking about his 9v spector, i got the link from that thread.

Pretty intersting stuff.

10. Nice one - thanks for the link!!!! Now, where's that soldering iron.......
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Check the pick up height. In EMG installation diagrams, it suggest that the pickup's be as close to the strings with out the stiring hitting the p/u's while playing.
  12. Wow, just had a look into the control cavities on my REX2000/5 and my NS5CR! They're pretty tight looking - in fact the REX has a separate battery compartment!

Reckon I'll still go ahead and try to up the circuits to 18v!:)
  13. heh, I looked in my Rex last night too, stared at it for awhile, and shut it back up. Let me know if you get any ideas for this.
  14. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just to clarify a little.. The 18 volts doesn't make the bass louder, or sound very different, it just gives the preamp more headroom, so that there is less chance of distortion or muffeling with several controls on full.

15. This is cool, I don't need to make the bass louder - I have a 500 wat Trace rig for that!;)

16. I think in the REX, the second battery will need to be added in the control cavity - wth some insulating foam or something in with it! I'll let you know how it progresses!:)
  17. Maybe you could try a different preamp tube in the Eden if it has one. My SWR SM-400 has different gain if I change the tube. For example Sovtek 12ax7WB had lower gain and Ruby 7027 had higher gain than what was in there from the factory which I figured must be toast after 10 years. BTW I have a bass with EMG humbuckers and they are hotter than the bartolini humbuckers on my usual bass, but I still use the passive input on my amp. -Wes