1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jcburn, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hey all - just picked up a used Frank Bello Fender sig from The Bass Place. Looking at the pics it's obvious the P pickup has been replaced.
    From the factory these basses have a SD 1/4 Pounder P, with both pickups wired passively volume/volume. I assumed the EMG was a HZ passive pickup. So then I thought I would check out getting a EMG HZ J pickup to match (I'm not a big fan of the Fender Noiseless pickups). After a bit of a search on the EMG site I came to the conclusion that they dont produce the HZ series with the white covers.
    That would mean the P pickup in this bass is a standard EMG "active" pickup yes? The bass has left the store enroute for the US to Australia so no way for the store to check, other than to tell me the bass works fine.
    Is there any way a standard EMG pickup can be wired to a passive set up?
    Does my question make sense?:bag:
    If you look close enough at the pic it doesn't have HZ on the pickup either.

Attached Files:

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    So I understand that you want to match an active EMG pickup with a passive non-EMG or EMG Hz? Since the 9-volt actually powers the pickup, I should think you might be able to do this, but you'd have some problems with matching gain, etc. As I've only had basses with the EMG pickups I guess the most obvious solution would be to use another stock EMG as the second pickup.
    BTW, cool color! I don't recall seeing a cream color EMG P pickup before either. I do have an old (vintage 1983) EMG J Bass pickup hanging around, but it's black and wouldn't match, I'm afraid.

3. Check EMG's website. I think a matching cream or white EMG J pickup is available, but would be a special order deal.

4. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Ive wired up an EMG active P/J set thats 9 volt with no pre-amp in the guitar and the output is not much more than a passive bass. different sound of course but not harsh like what you hear with the pre-amp? If thats even applicable to what your concerns are?

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    You're right-it's part of the PJ set.

6. The active EMG stuff has an internal preamp and needs those charming little 25K pots. The tone circuit can be passive, as in pot and a capacitor.

7. I have an inexpensive ESP LTD "pre-aged" Precision PJ setup with EMG actives. Loads of signal and seems to work for everything. I would miss my stacked tone control, but for certain stuff I don't think I would miss the tone controls going with just 2 volumes.

8. I think this answers my question. It just confused me that the original passive pickup (SD QP) had been replaced with the EMG pick with internal preamp seemingly without a change to the standard passive vol/vol set up.

9. get the J and it will match. Some people dont like EMG as they can be a little too hi-fi. I like them - great for metal and slapping and if you add one of their tone control systems they open up and become very versatile. Havent had a chance to try any of their X series stuff. I didnt like the HZ that came in a Schecter I had. they are passive and no built in preamp.

10. This too is what I wanted to hear - thanks folks.
    I love me some hi-fi action. My other bass current sport SD QP p and j pickups for vintage sound so some EMG action sounds like the go!