1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

emg ?s

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anomalybass, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ive been searching with no luck. can you use active emgs with a passive onboard pre w/ no battery? i know alot of active basses have passive pups with active pres, i just didnt know if emgs NEEDED the battery. -joep

2. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The EMG hz are passive by design. All the other EMG's that I'm aware of take a battery.

What type of configuration were you thinking of doing?

3. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    There is no such thing as a passive "pre" pre is pre-amplifier truncated. A pre amplifier is typically a buffer stage, although sometimes there is signal amplification involved so the term pre-amplifier, is a little inaccurate.

The only thing passive would be simple volume and tone controls.

4. thanks guys. im swapping pups in my fender jazz. ive always been a fan of emgs, but i want to stay passive. as i have no experience with emg hzs i was considering trying to just swap the pups direct. i guess not now. i think ill be buying a sd basslines j pup for direct replacement of my bridge pup. ill do a comparison and let you guys hear the results fo sho. thanks again- joep

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

You can always check out the EMG Select pickups, they are passive...and sound great too

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You could try a set of EMG jazz replacements. They are active PU's with volume/volume/tone.

It is not a standard cut/boost preamp that you might be used to on other actives. The battery is basically giving the pickup juice with a tone control similar to a passive tone control. The sound IS an active sound, essentially built into the pickups. EMG makes active tone controls as well, but a jazz set is the simplest solution. Also sounds great.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    to each his own, but the emg HZs and especially the "select" are pretty disappointing, and not nearly as good as actual emgs (which are always active).

8. i love emgs...im just really happy with my passive jazz tone. i already have an emg equipped fretless, and an 18v active cirrus. i want to keep the jazz passive. i want to emphasize that jazz growl my bass already has. has anyone tried the basslines i mentioned? im excited to do a comparison. on a side note...what tonal difference does a badass2 bridge make on a jazz? anything noticeable? or is tone the only real reason to upgrade a bass bridge? thanks- joep

9. I just put an EMG LJ (Jazz Bass bridge pickup) in my Yamaha Fretless and trust me, it growls like a Jazz Bass. :bassist:

A Badass is a LOT more stable than the original Fender Bridge - once you set the saddle heights on it they'll stay put - n o nned to keep a screwdriver handy. It also makes things feel tighter under your plucking hand - the saddles run in a groove and so can't slide from side to side like they can on a Fender Bridge. I noticed that the sound was "tighter" as well, more "attack" on each note, but the guys in the band didn't notice any difference at all!:crying:

10. the guys in the band will never notice a difference. ;), j/k.

thanks alot. ive never been a fender fan, but after hearing on here that the growly jazz tone i was trying to get out of my cirrus was a basic fender jazz tone i slowly started GASing for a jazz. now i love them. thanks for all the help. -joep

11. +1. Not to bash the Select or HZ line, but I wasn't a fan. Something about them just doesn't sound very good. They're the kind of pickup I'd replace and toss.

12. If you're looking for more variety, Bartolini offers a different vibe that's a little more vintage sounding, even in the active setting.

13. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

You know....Im just too tired to argue on this one...I have Selects in 2 of my basses, and I think they sound quite good for passive EMG's..(of course the active EMG's with an EMG pre sound better to me)...but, as my daddy used to say, thats why they make Fords AND Chevy's;)