EMG Select Jazz Pups: Opinions??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by teej, Apr 1, 2005.

1. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    StewMac is offering EMG Select jazz pickups for a nice price. I may buy a few sets, but I'm not very familiar with EMG's "Select" line of pups. What's the tone like? Any hum? Good quality? Opinions??
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have only had the the Selects (on two basses) in a P/J setup. The J was very quiet (as far as noise) and had a warm traditional tone from what I remember. I can't really give a better description because I usely use the P.

From an overall standpoint, the pups appear well made (for the $) and have never failed or caused any problems. I had one set on my '90 Innovator and another on my '85 Virgin.

I just recently pulled them from the Virgin and replaced them with EMG actives. Not because they were bad or anything. I had the actives laying around and thought "why not?" I lost the warmth that the Selects had which I kinda miss. I wiss I had tried them with a BTC or BQS before switching them. Maybe I will switch the back. Hmm..... :smug:

Thats a pretty good description of the Selects. They sound like an active EMG but alot warmer.

For the bucks, try one or two and see what you think.
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    From my experience, Selects are quite cheap. They don't really have a great tone. Depending on how cheap you can get them, they still might be worth it.