EMG Select P-bass pickups - too much magnet?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Randy Payne, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001

I just got some EMG Select P-bass pickups for my custom bass. The reason I got it was because I have a PJ pickup configuration, and the J pickup had higher output than the P, and I wanted a little more volume out of the P to balance them out. So I figured the EMG Select would have higher output.

The problem is, the magnets are really strong, too strong IMHO. A have string buzzing on the E and A string, and this can be caused by a neck pickup that has too strong magnets. I know this from experience. The neck pickup is more critical than the bridge pickup when it comes to string pull from the magnets. It was easy enough to verify that the string buzz was being caused from the pickup, by shielding the pickup with a piece of sheet steel. This makes the buzzing go away, so it is indeed the pickup. Now you're all thinking, "OK bozo, you have the pickup too close to the strings". Yes the pickup could be screwed down some more, but it is far enough away from the strings such that the strings never come in contact with the pickup, even with very hard plucking. Plus, if I screw the pickup down anymore, I will lose output. Remember, I got the darn thing to give me a little more output than the stock Fender P bass pickup! If I screw it way down, it will probably have less output the the stock Fender pickup!

On a positive note, I have no problems with the sound of the pickup, it sounds fine to me.

Anybody else have any experience with this "pup"?