EMG " select " passive pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AllodoX, Apr 16, 2002.

1. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Don't think so. Pretty sterile sounding, and they don't even have the "edge" that EMG pickups normally have. I've only had experience with the PJ set, I replaced the stock (crappy) pickups in my first bass with them, and I think the originals sounded better.
  2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i would just add the extra $$ and get the emg active pickups,... good -luck
  3. I actually like the EMG Select P p/up - I've got the PJ set in my Fender Precision plus (hear it on "rising" with The Now on the Talkbass station)and the EMG Select P in my homemade Warmoth with a Kent Armstrong double J humbucker at the bridge- that's the bass I used on "MTR" on the Talkbass station.
    it gets enough clarity for me.

the PJ set gets a good growl in both p'ups full-on mode, but the single-coil J picks up hum quite badly.
  4. they sound nice indeed..

are they humfu.. uhm.. -Buckers ? :rolleyes:
  5. the P p/up is humbucking (totally hum-free, as all P p/ups should be, with their inherent split-coil humbucking design)- but the J tends to buzz whichever way you blend it with the P.
    -it's more of a problem with a trebly eq, use of distortion and fluorescent lights.

(which is why I used a different bridge P/up on the Warmoth)

that's an advantage the EMG active PJ set has- they're completely silent on the J too.
  6. the EMG "select" cost only $ 35 over here, where the normal EMG's / basslines cost about $ 100.. that's why i'm interested..
  7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a Steinberger Spirit for a practice bass and thought I would change the pickups right away, but I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the EMG Selects. They have a lower output than my main passive bass, but the tone is good. I'm going to leave them in. Considering the price, I would try them.