Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG select question ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by danhorne, Jul 4, 2004.

1. I'm looking to pick up a EMG P/J select set for a bass i'm throwing together and have no wiring experience. Can i hook up two dual pots to have a volume/tone pot for each pickup?

2. Or can there only be one master tone?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, you can wire it as dual vol/tone

emg make a stacked 25K pot, get two of them and you're in business. You get a wiring diagram with it to do just what you describe.

4. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If EMG Selects are passive (and I believe they are) he's gonna want two 250k concentric pots. 25k pots are usually used with EMGs, but EMGs are usually active.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You're right, sorry. I saw, but didn't process, the 'select' bit. Yes, you'll indeed need two 250K concentric pots.

If you go to mrgearhead.com, and find the wiring diagram for the '62 reissue jazz bass, that's what you'll need.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have the EMG Select P/J set and I'm using the 500k pots. I think it sounds better than the 250k pots. It just has a little brighter top end. JMO though.