1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Select Strat PU for a Squier Bronco. Any good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by astro_, Mar 17, 2009.

1. astro_

astro_

Feb 6, 2009
    I have a Squier Bronco bass that I'd like to upgrade.

I've been thinking of using an EMG Select Strat sized pickup, because they're cheap, and also because they're actually a double coil humbucker in a Strat type housing. Has nybody ever used one of these pickups on a bass before?

I plan on using 250k CTS pots and a 0.047 Sprague capacitor that I have in the parts bin.

SES.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a sideways move at best, and probably a slight downgrade.

3. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    it is your option of course, but why bother? Its a squire kids bass. If you want to play bass, get a new bass which is actually a real bass. I know allot of people love the Squire VM bass, but Squire will always be the kids version of Fender and nothing more. Save some cash, get a weekend job in a bar if your old enough or a paper round if your not, and buy a MIM P-Bass.

Other than that, it might work, but you have to make sure it fits first. The SES uses blade, not poles so string spacing isn't a problem. There is no REAL difference between guitar and bass pickups, so I cant see any problems other than actually fitting it. Thinking about it, if it doesn't fit borrow a router and make the space for it, its only a Squire bass after all!

4. If you want to go that route, look at some of the DiMarzio double rails - there's quite a few of them ranging from vintage-sounding to very high output - you'll find something there and they are generally nicer (IMHO) than the cheap EMGs plus you can pick them up cheap/used in Ebay or Craig's List.

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    People usually recommend the DiMarzio Fast Track T.