Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Mar 9, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im making a bass, and im coming to the part where i need to decide on passive bass pups. I do not have alot of money to spend though, and these are the best passive 5 string pickups avalible in my area :)

They are the EMG HZ, and the EMG selects. Now i have narrowed it down to the EMG Select Jazz bass pickups, and the EMG HZ. Both are in the latest stew mac catalogue aswell. Heres what the magazine says about each pickup:

Pickups set for Jazz Bass
    Great punchy tone with excellent drive. The hum cancelling set of two single blade pickups is ideas for 4 or 5 string basses. 7.1K ohms About $75 AUS

EMG HZ
    Dual Coil 'CS' design with a solid cover gives low noise and full range ith added brightness. 5 wire connector, 250K pots reccomended. 40HZ is 9.6K omhs. About $120 Aus.

I think the HZ will sound better, but the jazz's cost less, and give a wide tonal range.

Opinions guys?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the HZs would sound better. They sound great in Spector Q5's!
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For what it's worth, a pair of used HZs on ebay go for a steady $55. You can buy brand new selects for like $30. If that's any indication of what people think of the sound, you figure the value for youself.

Not sure but think I may have had a set of HZs in an ESP LTD104 way back when. If so, they had decent tone but they were very dark and of limited use, not very flexible. But I hear over and over again positive accounts of their tone from seasoned players so I'm thinking I probably had different pups in that bass cause I don't think they all came with them.

Look for some reviews on the selects on the net, they may actually be decent and sound is relative to the individual anyway. I never know whether I like pups or not till played to music anyway. And there are definitely some good cheap pups out there.
  4. I only have experience of the Hz pups - in my Spector REX2000/5. I think they're pretty good (they are coupled with the EMG BTS pre-amp though!).

Never tried the EMG Selects.......couldn't help there.
  5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    When considering price, EMG-HZ's are American made while the Selects are Korean made. I have played EMG-HZ's in Deans, ESP-LTD's, and Shecter's, and they sould OK, but in these basses they are have been through various factory installed preamps (the Schecter even has an actual EMG BTS preamp.) With the tone controls flat, they seem to have a big sound, but it is hard to say if that is the pickups themselves or the partly the preamp coloration.

On the other hand, I had a pair of EMG selects in my '75 (actual '75, not a reissue) for a while when the original pickups seemed to die for some reason. These have the definite J single coil sound, but if I remember correctly, have a bit more bottom. I had the opportunity to hear a friend of mine play this bass on a couple of occasions, and I was always surprised at how good these pickups sounded. At the same time, I have played a few Korean made basses that had Selects as OEM, and they haven't impressed me mcuh. Still, I view the Selects are a great pickup bargin. I don't think the tone of the Selects are by any means better then the vintage Duncans that I now have in the aforementioned '75 J, but I do think the Selects, but I also don't think the Duncans are better then the Selects. They are different. If anything, the Selects may be a bit hotter, and as I said before, have more bottom.