EMG Select.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gkirkin, May 24, 2005.

1. gkirkin

May 23, 2005

Im new 2 the forum, this is my 1st post. I have a Squire Precision Bass, its sounds crap but surprisingly isnt that bad. It has a bridge pickup (Jazz Bass Style) along with the standard split pickup. I recently brought an EMG Select split pickup 2 replace the crappy factory 1 on there at the mo.
    Is this a good idea? I know EMG's are very good, but wot does the Select mean??
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Selects are the cheapest EMG pups and are not made in the USA.

You will find alot of people who say they are crap. I think they are pretty nice pups and are the best bang for the buck on the market, IMO ofcourse. ;)

I think you should try the one you have and see if it gives you the tone your after. If it doesn't, then atleast your not out big bucks.

Here are some other threads covering EMG passive pups:
    EMG passive pickups - rubbish?
    EMG Select Jazz Pups: Opinions??
    EMG passive bass pickups
    So, what exactly are EMG Selects?
    EMG: Select Vs. HZ
  3. I put some P style ones into my Westfield P-bass copy. They do the job much better than the stocks, I can tell you. The sounds much beefier and theres no more weird 'whooshy' sound that I got with the stocks when playing fast or agressively. I got them from Stewmac, shipped over here. Still cheap.
  4. I have EMG Selects in a Cort P-bass, which I like very much - the Select P pups were a vast improvement over the Cort stock P pups.

I've also recently put a J set of selects into my Rockbass Corvette - the MEC's were very noisy, even after thoroughly sheilding the bass. In their defence, I must admit that my study has my amp, my Mac with a large CRT monitor, and my aquarium complete with flourescent lighting - so from an electrical point of view, it is a noisy environment, but the selects suffer far less from noise in the Corvette than the MEC's did, and offer a nice well rounded tone. Maybe a little bright, but cutting highs a bit, and boosting the mids and lows at my amp produces a nice warm sound which I like.

Selects are cheap, but well worth the money IMHO.

Having said that - I am considering trying some Dimarzio Model J's or some Basslines Vintage J's in my Corvette. If I decide to, it will be very interesting to be able to have an A/B comparison with the cheaper Selects.

5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I still think that standard, active EMGs are the best tones for EMG pickups. The standard EMG Active Ps are excellent, IMO.

6. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Eric, he wasn't asking about the actives.
  7. gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    Thanks for all the advice. Im a little ennoyed, cuz I was recomended EMG's by a friend. If Selects arent as good, then I may have wasted some money :crying:
    They arrived yesterday, havnt fitted them yet.
  8. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Let me guess, is the friend a guitarist? ;)

Alot of people will recommend EMGs but they really don't think about how many different models there are. Don't worry about it though. The Selects are good pickups. I have never heard of one problem with them ever.

The tone from them won't be what everyone likes but as always its a matter of personal opinion. Some people like Ampeg amps, some hate them. Same situation with these pups. Try it and see if it gives you an improvement that you like. You might be pleasantly surprised!
  9. There is very little chance that the EMG Selects are going to be of lesser quality then your stock ones. Try them out.
  10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    The Selects that I have tried have sounded good.

I built and sold a bass that was equipped with 2 Select P-pickups. A really good professional bassist played it at a practice recently at the owner's house and raved about the sound of the bass. He asked about it and sought me out. He owns six quality basses, but asked me about possibly building one for him. I think this speaks well for the Selects.

Great bang-for-the-buck (pound, yen, Euro, etc.).
  11. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I haven't seen any significant direct correlation between what you pay and what you get when it comes to pup purchases - and I've had low end Ibanez to Lane Poor (haven't had any Selects). There are plenty of decent cheap pups out there and expensive ones that suck. The bottom line is what matters is personal preference and what YOU think. Let your ears be the judge, not someones opinion.

Also, there's plenty of info on the net for feedback on most pups. If you don't change your buying habits, it will cost you worthy coin and a lot of grief during your time left on this planet.
  12. SakuBass

Apr 6, 2013
    I am building a Les Paul type 4-string. I have a leftover Select Emg pickups that I think I could use. Only I would like to have the chrome covers as some Gibson basses have. Does anyone here have any experiences on capping humbucker type pickups? Do the metal covers affect the sound? Do they need to be grounded separately? Or is it even possible? I have this kind of covers: http://www.wdmusic.com/closed_metal_hum_cover_gold.html
  13. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I had a set of EMG Selects in an old Hohner B Bass -- don't recall that they were horrible or amazing -- just middle of the road average to my ears. They did what they did well enough, and were well made.

I do know they used to be made in Korea, but not sure if this is still the case. You may do just as well with a GFS P pickup from Guitar Fetish for about the same amount of money.