Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emg select

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wishIhad6finger, Nov 6, 2005.

1. wishIhad6finger

wishIhad6finger

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm building a bass and I'm having trouble finding desint pickups for a good price.I'm looking at EMG select jazz pickups but I can't find any info on their sound. so if any one has some info I'd love to hear it.
    Thanks

2. EMG select are EMG's mass-produced budget pickups...

do a search. there's loads of comments about these...most people are un-impressed.

IMO, A very good pickup for your buck would be a Bill Lawrence

3. They're OK. Not great, but not bad for the price. I've used 'em and liked them in a couple of basses, but I've never left them in for very long. They never blew me away.

They're quite strong on the mids, and a little short on highs, and can tend to sound somewhat woofy when playing in the upper registers, particularly when playing chords.

I have a set here sitting on my workshop bench. I don't think I'll use them again. Then again, I probably will LOL.

I love tinkering :D

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    EMG Select's are the 'offshore' Chinese/Taiwanese/Far East made pickups.

EMG and EMG Hz are the American made pickups.

5. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Jeez, I thought the Selects were discontinued...

I have a set of Select Jazz Pickups on mine and I have been using them for over 10 years. They have not Failed...good value. I bought them when my originals failed. I was looking at Carvin and when I went to the store, the Selects were on sale. I was familure with the EMG name so I went for it. They popped right in, no mods needed, and sound like a Jazz Bass should. I have A/B'd them vs a MIM Stock Jazz and they don't sound any different through my rig.

They probably aren't the "best", but they work fine.

6. They're Korean actually.

For those who are interested, they're available via www.stewmac.com

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Huh...That's what they cost 10 years ago...how about that?

8. I guess that might mean they're even better value now ;)

9. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    yeah i just said Far East to make life easier on me :)

infact, i dont believe there is any different in quality between those 3 countries. i would put Japanese quality ahead of them.

10. Well, I really disagree with basing quality on country of origin.

It's absolutely rubbish.

Each country can produce crap, and great stuff.

I've seen gear come from Korea, and China for example that was excellent quality. I've also seen gear from those countries that was rubbish.

Having said that I've also seen garbage made in Australia, and great stuff too.

Same with the US...

Country of origin is country of origin. Simple. If you'd prefer to buy home grown, that's great. I do if the product is well priced, and is of equal or better quality than an imported counterpart, but all things considered, you really should just assess a product on it's merits, not where it came from.

The EMG Selects from Korea, for example, are an Excellent quality pup. The build quality is first rate - it really is. Much better than many other pups I've seen. The tone is what it is. That doesn't change the quallity of the pup. You either like the tone or you don't. They'd be the same quality, and the same pup if they were made to the same specs in the
    US.

11. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    True...Crap is Crap and Good is Good no matter where it is built.