EMG selects upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Motoboy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. I am cleaning/restringing my POS Ibanez SRX200. It has always sounded like crap and the frets are worn. I have a set of new EMG Selects I have no other use for. Do you think it would be worth the soldering time to install the EMG's if I will only be using this bass until I build my Warmoth (parts are on their way) and as a back-up? Or should I just take the quick way out and leave it as-is?

Basically what I'm asking is will the EMG MIK's sound better than the stock pups?

2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    The only way to know is to try the Select's and go from there. It should make a difference in tone but whether the difference is good or bad is ultimately up to you. Good luck.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I say try it. You'll never know unless you do and you might actually like them.

Personally, I think the Selects are pretty decent pups for the price.
  4. Well, I put the new pups in and the bass sounds thin and tinny now, although that may be because the only strings at my local shop were .040-.095.

It's amazing how good it feels to play new strings!

It plays easily and I learned a lot about soldering and shielding, so it'll make my Warmoth that much easier to build. And I have something to play until then!

Thanks for the input!