Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG selects upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Motoboy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. I am cleaning/restringing my POS Ibanez SRX200. It has always sounded like crap and the frets are worn. I have a set of new EMG Selects I have no other use for. Do you think it would be worth the soldering time to install the EMG's if I will only be using this bass until I build my Warmoth (parts are on their way) and as a back-up? Or should I just take the quick way out and leave it as-is?

Basically what I'm asking is will the EMG MIK's sound better than the stock pups?

Thanks!
    Mark

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The only way to know is to try the Select's and go from there. It should make a difference in tone but whether the difference is good or bad is ultimately up to you. Good luck.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I say try it. You'll never know unless you do and you might actually like them.

Personally, I think the Selects are pretty decent pups for the price.

4. Well, I put the new pups in and the bass sounds thin and tinny now, although that may be because the only strings at my local shop were .040-.095.

It's amazing how good it feels to play new strings!

It plays easily and I learned a lot about soldering and shielding, so it'll make my Warmoth that much easier to build. And I have something to play until then!

Thanks for the input!

Mark