EMG sound in passive pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dadodetres, Dec 29, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

i played the other day a friends ibanez which had emg, and sound WAAAY better than any other ibanez of the same range i knew.

the sound was more agrresive.

i have a set of bartolini in my lakland 4-94 (a J and a MM) which sound thin. is great for many styles and thechnics, but is missing that character thet the ibanez had.

the problem is that the lakland is active (switchable).

are any passive EMG or any other brand that has that aggresive sound that makes passive J`s and MM`s ???

thancks for any input!
  2. rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    apparently EMGs are a love'em or hate'em item.
    active or passive, i love'em, as do many people whose opinion i respect, but i know equal (or greater) numbers of people that i respect that despise them.
    EMGs just have the perfect "in your face tone" that doesn't seem to be good for much else, in my limited experience.
    in fact, i have a set of jazz EMG selects (passives) that you can have for -- i dunno -- shipping plus something cool from Uruguay.
    like a round trip plane ticket and a place to stay for a month.
  3. rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    just kidding about the tickets, not the pups.
    was just thinking today that i won't use them any time soon, so they're yours.
    send me your address and they'll be on the way soon.
  4. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
  5. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Seymour Duncan makes some hot pickups. I like the quarter pounder p or j. I also dig their MM pickups.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm one of the "give me EMG" camp. I like them active or passive. the passive pups have a really nice tone IMO. The Selects or HZ series are both good pups. The HZs are more agressive than the Selects.

Check these out:
  7. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    so you say the passives are more aggresive?

the other thing is that my lakland has a switch wich allows me to use or 1 coil of the MM, or the other, or both..... can i still have this chanmce by changing the MM pickup for the EMG? i should have a professional do the change, right?

8. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I have EMG select P pickups in a P-bass copy I have. They wont exactly compete with duncans or barts but for only like 30 bucks they were definately an improvment over the cheap stock pickups.
  9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess it depends on what you call aggresive. I think the HZ's (passive) are more warm old school with more grit than the actives. The actives are more punchy and clean. The Selects (passive) fall somewhere in between.

I know a lot of guys rag on the HZ's and Selects but I like both of them.

I don't know for sure. :meh: It looks like it might be possible as the pickup has dual coils and has five pins (leads) out. Contact EMG at mailto: tech@emgpickups.com or phone: (707) 525-9941. Good luck! :)
  10. Put in the active EMGs...way more aggressive than the Barts..

EMGs were the stepping stone leading to a Rick for me....

I had a noisy Aria bass that I had put Barts in, but they never captured the raw tone of the original pups..

...so I spent more money, and put in EMGs...and there it was, the "actual" tone of my bass again, not with the edges rounded off, like the Barts seem to do... you know, make any bass sound "nice", and take off the edge in sound(low and high)

I noticed more harmonics, and even more bass with the EMGs in there..then I realized Maple(read *a Rick*) is even edgier than ash/rosewood... :eek: