1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Sound?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Johnny Znuff, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Johnny Znuff

Johnny Znuff Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Perhaps I own the wrong bass (LOL!!):rollno:, but I'm trying to get an EMG-ish sound through my L2000 (for hard rock/ metal). I play through a GK Backline 2x10 w/ 12 inch satellite cabinet (300 watts) and a Boss bass eq pedal. Not having much luck:meh:. Can any of you guys offer any suggestions?

2. I'm not sure what could be the problem, but I use EMGs too and I have no problem achieving the sound :D

maybe what you're looking for are more tone shaping pedals.

3. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Dunno "EMG-ish". How you setting your 2K and what is a song, that we can hear, with the sound you are going for?

Jim

4. I might think you are using too much eq. Try just going into the amp without the Boss pedal. Try it with the GKs tone controls all at 12 oclock. I found cutting just a bit of high mids 1k on my GK Head (400RBIV) did wonders for my sound with an L2000. Then use the contour knob to taste. Those G&L pickups put out quite a broad spectrum and need to be tamed just a bit (or not depending on your sound!) Hope this helps.
    B

5. Johnny Znuff

Johnny Znuff Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys... Brent, I think you may be on to something... I should probably let "the bass do the talking", and use less of the EQ pedal...

6. Glad I could help. The other thing to watch is the boost control on the GK. I really had to turn it down with the L2K as it already has growl to spare.
    B