Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Spector. Should I?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brake, Oct 17, 2003.

1. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    my Spector(NS2000/q4) as of now, has EMG HZs in it, would it be a good move to upgrade them to real EMGs? I'd be putting in DCs... and I wouldnt need to route out any more room for the extra battery, would I?

2. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    what I meant to ask was, would it be a huge night and day type thing?

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You shouldn't need any extra room for the battery.. 2 batteries fit fine in my NS2000/5. The only problem is that I have to tape my batteries together before sticking them in, so that the top one doesn't rattle around in the control cavity. :)

About whether putting DCs in would be a wise decision or not... I haven't tried upgrading my EMG-HZs yet, so I can't really give you a good answer. There have been several topics on this in the past few weeks though, so you may want to try a search. ;)

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm sure there would be a difference...but you'd probably get more of an improvement from upgrading the onboard preamp than the pickups. Of course you could always upgrade both. :p

5. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    oh okay, thanks. I didnt think it would've been a very common thing but I guess it is, ah well. Thanks :)

6. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

What do you recommend? AFAIK, it's got the EMG preamp in it now

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, I forgot to check this thread again. :)

From what I understand, the preamp in Korean Spectors is actually not EMG's BTS preamp, but a Korean-made version (not as good from what I've heard.) I used to think it was a BTS too, but I was told otherwise.

As for recommendations, I'd suggest either an Aguilar OBP-1 or OBP-3, I'll be going with the OBP-3... there are plenty of other good preamps, but I haven't really looked into the others. I'm such an Aguilar fanatic. :( ;)