1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG SSD Stuart Spector Design Pickups Replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Sep 26, 2009.

1. What do you guys think of the EMG SSD pickups that come stock with the Spector Legend 6 bass? Do you know which EMG pickups are drop in replacements for these (with the same dimensions)? Do these pickups have the same dimensions as the EMG HZ series? Thanks.

2. Check out the owners manual - pretty sure they are SSD HZ models.

I own two of the Legend 6 Models and I like the Pups - they sound good flat and sit great in the mix. Link below will take you to the link for the owners manual PDF.

You can also e-mail PJ at Customer Service - he usually replies fast and can answer your question with specific info.

http://www.spectorbass.com/aboutus.html

3. kgantzer

kgantzer

Mar 6, 2004
    Ohio
    According to the owners manual, the EMG SSDs are Passive. Seems odd, given the fact that the pre-amp is an Active TonePump Jr.

Anyone know for sure ?

4. The SSDs are indeed passive.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    passive pickups into an active preamp is not "odd" at all, in fact that's the way it's almost always done.

"real" active EMG pickups like the DC series into a nicer preamp (or even no preamp at all, if you ask me) would be a big improvement.

6. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    +1 on both comments.

7. kgantzer

kgantzer

Mar 6, 2004
    Ohio
    Thanks for feedback. One more question...
    So would you replace the PUPS or the pre-amp first?
    PS - I like the Barts on my Roscoe, but might prefer my Spector to be more modern sounding.

8. Kano2864212

Kano2864212 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield, MA
    id replace the pups with emg 45dc's before the pre because it still sounds pretty good

9. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    i have the same bass and replaced mine with the emg active tw's (all emgs are drop in replacements, the six string has the 115mm housing). the tws are 2 pickups in one, and come in the higher end spectors. as for the preamp, some people go passive, i went with the audere 4 band eq. i have yet to install it. ive used the pickups before and they sound great, this will be my first experience with the eq. the emg ssd pickups are basically a crappier version of the emg hz passives. why? i have no idea, but they are. they put the hz's on the more expensive set neck versions, but they dont make those in 6 string because they are retarted.

10. Ouch - fairly certain the Audere CAN'T work with active EMGs - check with them BEFORE you install...

Jamie
    J

11. Lakland55

Lakland55

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Does anyone know which active barts are a drop-in replacement for the SSD pups?