Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG swap may go back to stock

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Oct 5, 2003.

1. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I swapped an EMG Select passive "J" into my Yamaha RBX-270 P/J and, lo and behold, I actually prefer the stock pup! The EMG has a more ballanced output than the Yamaha for sure, but I discovered that's what I liked about the stock pup. More "quack", like I'm playing way back by the bridge regardless of my right hand position. Anyone else use/have an opinion of EMG Select's?

-RH

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    "Selects" are the low-end, cheapie version EMG brands its name on, used on low-end bass lines. Try a real EMG and you'll likely be impressed.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, I have EMG selects in an Ibanez bass. They get the job done, but are nothing special, that's for sure.

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks guys. I'll steer clear.

5. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Hmmmmm, a set of EMG Selects plus the EMG-BTS or BTC is less than a set of "real" EMG's.... I'm going to try that combo and see what happens. Can always upgrade to EMG-P or -J and, viola, already have the 2 band active.

-RH

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Like a large violin? Real EMG pickups are a world away from Selects - I'd strongly recommend you to go for them rather than trying to use an active preamp to make the Selects sound good.

Alex

7. EMG's sound compressed to my ears. I have the same bass and I hardly ever use it because of the pups.

Maybe I need to go passive too?:meh:

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    M'kay. So much for EMG Selects. I saw them in the StewMac catalog and thought "StewMac don't sell no junk, they just happen to have a really good price on those". Oh well.

:D
    Is it "vwalla"?

9. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    You can really bring standard EMG actives to life by bumping them up to 18v from 9v. They sound great already, but the 18v upgrade makes a huge difference. And costs about 50 cents.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

I agree...did this myself and was totally impressed with the difference in sound.

11. Seriously? Where do I get the upgrade specks?

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  13. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    :rolleyes:

Hey Treena, let us know what yer pups do if you decide to bump up to 18v.

Nice little thread y'all, thanks.

-RH

14. joeplayfunkbass

joeplayfunkbass

Nov 1, 2003
    Taiwan
    there is no different between 9V and 18V, more headroom?? head my ass, I put one more battery in my EMG and nothing happen, people will say that ..."oh, there is more headroom", i did the "A" "B" test and still thought that people like the 18V is because it sounds cool!!

15. If you do not notice a major differnce in headroom, aka: more low end- with emg's-soapbars, bartolini's, or even stock fenders- maybe you did not install it correct. It changed the preformance of every one of my bass's- almost always for the good-unless it points out to you, that you truly do not care for the tone range of the brand you are using-now that you can hear them fully. good luck

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I took my Steinberger XM2A (2 EMG-HB pickups and an EMG-BTC) from 9V to 18V, and it was night-and-day. I did it the cheap and easy way with the snap-in harness (Mark Gollihur's method), which allowed me to do almost instantaneous comparisons between the two voltages.

I'll never run EMGs at 9V again!

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    If you don't notice a difference, then you likely installed the second battery in parallel, and not in series. In parallel, all you're accomplishing is lengthening the amount of time between battery changes. You're increasing the power to 18v when you install in series.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I tried it on my Spector REX2000/5. I noticed the differnce immediately....more headroom. The amount of boost I could dial in made a real difference

I then did it to my 2 Czech NS5CR basses - wow! A simple mod and quite a difference. Also while I was in there I messed around with the dip switches on the pre-amp board to sort out the basic tone!