Emg TBTW+ Emg 81-7x on bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gwohawin, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Gwohawin

Gwohawin

Jun 15, 2020
    Turkey
    Hello y'all, i'm building a left handed thunderbird replica from scratch right now and wanted to gowgo something unique in pickups, i'm planning to use emg tbtw's on bridge and emg 81-7x's on neck pickup with 2 volume 2 tone setup without a switch. I've tried reaching emg but their customer service doesn't check their mails i guess lol. What are your thoughts, will i run into any issues with this setup?
    Ps. That's an early picture of the build for your enjoyment :D

Attached Files:

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Sounds cool! I would use the 35TW-X instead of the TBTW, just to keep the two pickups the same shape/size. But there’s absolutely no reason the 81-7x shouldn’t work for you!

Gwohawin likes this.
  3. Gwohawin

Gwohawin

Jun 15, 2020
    Turkey
    Well, 35TW-X costs 25 euros more and that's another set of strings for me so i wonder if that's worth it?

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    It’ll sound the same. But if you route for the larger shape of the TBTW, it will be there forever. Just aesthetics really.

Gwohawin likes this.
  5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    +1 using 35TW-X instead of Thunderbird's.

Not only it's the aesthetic of having the same dimension as 81-7X, also it's going ease the process of swapping pickups in case the TBTW paired with your build turns out as not having the sound you're after or in case you'd like to venture with other tonal pallets using other various EMG 35 or any other 7 string guitar soapbar pickups.

Gwohawin likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021